Website move -- to-do list

Francesco Vollero fvollero at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 12:12:41 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 11:31:13AM +0100, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 29/10/2012, at 2:58 PM, Michael Orazi wrote:
> > Looks good!  I didn't see any mention of the other older repos.  Are they completely shutdown at this point/obviously not taking pull requests, etc.?
> >
> > Thanks for writing this up, and great work across the board to make this happen.
>
> (note - added aeolus-devel on CC to this)
>
> During the Community talk this morning, it was mentioned there are a bunch
> of pages that aren't being found through Google.  But these same pages work
> when a person uses the non "www." version of the website, because our redirects
> take care of it.

The main problem is, that the real problem isn't the www or not, is the fact that
our link, especially for redmine are under https (read: was) so that mean that
trying to access the old machine without www would do the trick, afaiu (as far as
I understand).

> As a thought, GitHub lets us do custom 404 pages:
>
>  https://help.github.com/articles/custom-404-pages
>
> So it sounds like we could use javascript on the custom 404 page, to redirect
> to the correct end URL.
>
> Does that sound workable?

Anyway I think we can "borrow" this idea, to map the faulty pages as well in our
current website in order to make it work, maybe creating this custom page
with a link to our piwik so we have a list of faulty links and how much people
hit them.

I hope my 2cents are worthed :)

-FV