RFC: frontend realms, deployments, and instances api

Richard Su rwsu at redhat.com
Fri Nov 2 00:59:17 UTC 2012

On 11/01/2012 02:32 AM, Jan Provaznik wrote:
> On 10/31/2012 08:36 PM, Richard Su wrote:
>> 2. Once created, most deployment fields become read-only. The only two
>> that can be changed are name and state. For state, we will display an
>> available_states field indicating the possible transitions from the
>> current state. Users can PUT the entire xml deployment representation.
>> Changes to read-only fields will be ignored if it is something trivial
>> like a create_at, or will result in an error message if say a change was
>> made to associate with a different pool.
>>
>> https://redmine.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Deployments
>>

> I'm not sure if deployment/instance actions should be done through
> update action. This was discussed in an older thread here:
> https://lists.fedorahosted.org/pipermail/aeolus-devel/2012-July/011475.html
>

> What do you think about creating separate resource(s) for actions?
> Otherwise it looks great.
>
> Jan

I remember this discussion. We did consider creating a separate endpoint
for actions, and it is a reasonable approach, but at the end of the day
it is not REST-ful, so we abandoned that idea.

Martyn advocated that we should be moving the resource from one state to
another through PUTs. That's the reason why we're PUT'ing the state even
though the state change is not immediate. The status code we return is
202, or that the request was accepted and will be processed at a later
time.

- Richard