[ANNOUNCE] Deltacloud API 1.0 release notes

Michal Fojtik mfojtik at redhat.com
Tue Jun 26 10:28:35 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

On 19 June we announced a new milestone version of Deltacloud API,  1.0.0.
This version came with a **huge** list of improvements[1].

This is a quick wrap-up of the most important additions:

* Deltacloud API now comes with Amazon EC2 API front end. This should help
  customers who already have EC2-based infrastructure to easily switch between
  providers without reworking their codebase. This front end is experimental and
  just few limited features are supported, like launching an instance, querying
  images/instances and managing instance state. Ability to run multiple frontends
  (deltacloudd -f ec2, cimi, deltacloud)

* Deltacloud is now a modular[2] Sinatra application and can be used as an
  extension for any Rack-based application by mounting. As a side effect, we now
  expose our drivers API as a Ruby library, so clients can now use Deltacloud
  without starting a web server. The blog[2] post I mentioned above includes
  examples of how to use this feature. Please mind that this feature is also
  experimental, and we can't guarantee that the drivers API does not change in
  future (which is unlikely ;-))

* A new collection, 'metrics', was brought in to support Amazon CloudWatch
  metrics. To use this feature, you need to enable 'CloudWatch' support when
  launching the instance by using the 'metrics=1' parameter.

* We're now in process of switching from different testing suites (rspec,
  test::unit, cucumber, etc...) to use purely 'minitest'[3].

* A lot of Ruby 1.9<=>1.8 compatibility bugs have been fixed and Deltacloud API
  should now run smoothly on MRI 1.9, including all our testing suites.

* A lot of small improvements have been made in various drivers. OpenStack drivers
  now come with v2 API support (and keystone authentication), EC2 adds a new
  hardware profile (m1-medium), RHEV-M and VSphere are now more precise in error
  reporting, etc.

* A new driver was contributed from Fujitsu (Fujitsu Global Cloud Platform - FGCP)[3]

* Tons of networking stuff have been done on the CIMI front-end side, and the CIMI
  client application got support for additional drivers.

* The website got fresh new look and content update[4] (big thanks to Dagmar!!!)

There are other minor changes which are not mentioned here. If you have any
questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to ask on #deltacloud-internal
or #deltacloud @ freenode IRC channels or contact us.

The packages for Fedora 17 and Fedora 18 are ready for testing here:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/deltacloud-core-1.0.0-1.fc17

[1] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=deltacloud.git;a=blob;f=NEWS
[2] http://mifo.sk/deltacloud-as-library-and-more
[3] http://www.fujitsu.com/global/solutions/cloud/solutions/global-cloud-platform/