RFC UI annoyances - "quick fixes" and "require design work"

Scott Seago sseago at redhat.com
Thu Jul 19 17:35:31 UTC 2012

On 07/18/2012 08:20 AM, Jirka Tomasek wrote:
> On 07/17/2012 05:41 PM, Jaromír Coufal wrote:
>>

>>> * /pool_families uses both "Environments" and "Pool Families"
>>> terminology (DISCUSS)
>>>  - I would prefer the Pool Families here to be keep it the same as
>>> model name but I am not really sure on this one. Any recommendations?
>> Honestly I have more notes to the dictionary. Some of them will also
>> be connected with workflows. So my question is if we can postpone
>> this discussion later on till I get through the whole UI and start
>> working on workflows? I don't think it needs a fix right away so I
>> just wanted to save our times not to do this twice (if it will be
>> necessary). Of course if everybody agrees.
>
> Based on our talk today, I will change the Environments to Pool
> Families as it seems not to be consuming task to do.
> I think the Environments/Pool Families confusion came from the
> administer menu item "Environments" that first included just Pool
> Families tab but originally should include also other sections (like
> Images that it includes now also). So If no objections, I will leave
> the Environments menu item the same but change it at places where it
> references Pool Family.
So, in fact, "Environment" and "Pool Family" mean exactly the same thing
here (aeolus-cli _also_ uses the term 'environment' for pool family. The
reason for this is that we had just begun the process of changing "Pool
Family" to "Environment". The idea was to use Environment instead of
Pool Family because 1) it's what Katello uses for a similar concept and
2) Pool Family is a bit confusing -- Environment actually matches the
function of Pool Family fairly well. We hadn't actually changed any of
the codebase yet, though -- we got 'Environment' in the UI as part of
the UI design work, and the CLI work was new, so we started with
'Environment' there. The next step was to change it to 'Environment'
everywhere, when we heard that PM didn't want to call it Environment but
'Cloud' instead. Without a term that everyone agreed on, changing
everything to 'Environment' didn't make a ton of sense at the time, but
pretty much everyone on the dev side agreed that a vague term like
'Cloud' would be a bad idea for the upstream codebase, so we were left
with the original term (for now).

So yeah -- lets leave this as-is until we can have some more targeted
conversations about terminology used both upstream and in the product --
hopefully we can get more convergence. It's possible that 'Environment'
will be acceptable for a future product version, but I'm reasonably sure
that 'Pool Family' will never be approved.

Scott