Debugging Conductor

Jirka Tomasek jtomasek at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 09:17:46 UTC 2012

On 07/17/2012 04:40 PM, Greg Blomquist wrote:
> Hi Jirka,
>
> On 07/17/2012 03:52 AM, Jirka Tomasek wrote:
>> On 07/16/2012 08:35 PM, Greg Blomquist wrote:
>>> I recently was trying to track down an issue that jclift was seeing in
>>> his environment, and really wanted to see what was going on line by
>>> line.  And really _didn't_ want to add a million print statements only
>>> to have to figure out which of the seven log files I need to monitor to
>>> see the output.
>>>
>>> Enter ruby-debug.  First though, I had to be able to run the processes
>>> in the foreground and not as services.
>>>
>>> Preamble
>>> 0)  yum install rubygem-ruby-debug -y
>>> 1)  add "gem ruby-debug" to the default section of
>>> /usr/share/aeolus-conductor/Gemfile.in
>>>
>>> Run Aeolus Conductor in the foreground:
>>> 0)  Create a ~/bin directory
>>> 1)  cp /etc/init.d/aeolus-conductor ~/bin
>>> 2)  reduce the ~/bin/aeolus-conductor file to loading external vars and
>>> running thin (in debugger mode, and don't daemonize)...something like:
>>> http://pastebin.test.redhat.com/97293
>>> 3)  chmod 755 ~/bin/aeolus-conductor
>>> 4)  service aeolus-conductor stop
>>> 5)  aeolus-conductor
>>>
>>> Run delayed_job in the foreground:
>>> 0)  cd /usr/share/aeolus-conductor
>>> 1)  RAILS_ENV=production rake jobs:work
>>>
>>> Now, if you add the word "debugger" (which adds a breakpoint for rdebug)
>>> to any ruby file under /usr/share/aeolus-conductor/app, you should hit
>>> the breakpoint in either conductor or delayed_job.  Now you can do all
>>> the fancy debugging that you like.
>>>
>>> Hope that helps someone other than me.
>>>
>>> ----
>>>    Greg
>> Thanks for the write up, it might be a good idea to include this to Wiki
>> (Developer information/Other seems like a good place). I can do that if
>> you agree.
>>
>> Jirka
>>
> Yeah, please add it anywhere it makes sense.  I figured the first place
> would be the mailing list, but the best place would come from the people
> on the list :).
Hi

I created following wikipage
https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Debugging_Conductor_(production)
<https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Debugging_Conductor_%28production%29>

I also created pull request for aeolus-extras that adds the wikipage
reference to debugging_aeolus readme. (
https://github.com/aeolusproject/aeolus-extras/pull/1)

Jirka