RFC UI annoyances - "quick fixes" and "require design work"

Jaromír Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Tue Jul 17 15:41:39 UTC 2012

On 17.7.2012 17:09, Jirka Tomasek wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi :)

> so I went through UI Annoyances wikipage and divided the issues
> between those that require design work to resolve and those that can
> be fixed without design intervention.
>
> The list of UI Annoyances is here:
> https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/List_of_UI_Annoyances
>
> Most of the quickfixes are straightforward.The fixes which I think
> might require some discussion are listed below. Feel free to comment
> on any of the issues from the list or add the new ones you bump into.
>
> * "Launch with errors" makes it sound like it will cause errors on purpose
>  - maybe rewording to something like: "Ignore errors during launch"
> would do be enough?
I would like to ask: If error happens, will be user somehow informed
what happened?
     "Ignore errors during launch."... as Jirka wrote or
     "Keep launching even if errors occur (inform me)."

> * /pool_families uses both "Environments" and "Pool Families"
> terminology (DISCUSS)
>  - I would prefer the Pool Families here to be keep it the same as
> model name but I am not really sure on this one. Any recommendations?
Honestly I have more notes to the dictionary. Some of them will also be
connected with workflows. So my question is if we can postpone this
discussion later on till I get through the whole UI and start working on
workflows? I don't think it needs a fix right away so I just wanted to
save our times not to do this twice (if it will be necessary). Of course
if everybody agrees.

> * "Xml Deployable XML file doesn't resolve valid XML" is the worst
> error ever
> ** it is {confusingly, awkwardly, poorly} worded and uses the word
> "XML" three times in one sentence
> ** it doesn't actually indicate what's wrong with the XML -- we might
> as well just say "Your XML is no good! Try again!"
>  - change the validation message to more reasonable one and include
> the link to edit deployable xml?
When does this message appear? During creation of new deployable?
If yes, user is supposed to edit the XML file anyway, because without it
he is not able to create new deployable, right?
Then make it easier for him and display him edit form for XML right away
(of course with some reasonable error message). This will prevent him
from one more click which he will have to do anyway.

> I would like to start implementing the quick fixes by tomorrow.
>
> Jirka

Jarda