[katello-internal] Cloud Engine - System Engine V2 integration

Ohad Levy ohadlevy at redhat.com
Tue Jul 17 07:21:40 UTC 2012

On 07/16/2012 07:27 PM, Ivan Nečas wrote:
> With funzo, we're trying to figure out how the Cloud Engine/System
> Engine integration should look like, compared to V1.
>
> The templates in SE are going to be replaced with component outlines. In
> discussion about Foreman integration, it was not mentioned, that the
> Compontent Outline will contain the list of packages (System Template
> like we know it today has it). This is not required by Foreman (Foreman
> solves it with Puppet), but Cloud Engine is able to take the list of
> packages and install it into the built image, if I understand it
> correctly. Was it meant to be this way, or we just skipped it when
> talking about Foreman. It seems quite valuable Cloud Engine feature to me.

We could easily use a foreman smart var / variable to store any
arbitrary data, such as a package list.

alternatively, we could consider extracting that data from puppet or
running the puppet agent on the image once (with some sort of a image
cleanup methods afterwards like windows sysprep or scripts that runs on
public amis).

> Another thing to solve is how to call back to System Engine after the
> instance was deployed by Cloud Engine (if we're not satisfied with the
> current status of setting the script manually in deployable, which I
> guess we're not). It seems for version 1 Audrey is the only way how to
> run some scripts after the image was deployed. Will there we some other
> way for running scripts after deployment in Cloud Engine. If not, it
> seems that we will need to run Audrey and Puppet side by side. Maybe
> it's ok, just asking, if its acceptable  to have two config servers run
> against the same machine?

We could use foreman to initiate the instance and inject data to it
(just like we do for virt / bare metal / cloud in foreman today).

Ohad