Community Building Plan time :)

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 22:55:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 05:58:25PM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As an item of good news, upstream Aeolus should have an actual
> working version that people can use (in real environments)
> pretty shortly! (prob just days)
>
> We should definitely feel good about this. ;) [≙]
>
> Next step, we need to build awareness of Aeolus and what it does
> for people, plus get it into their hot little hands. :)
>
> To that effect, lets develop a plan of action for doing this.
>
> One which anyone interested can contribute to, and help out
> with. :)
>
>   http://etherpad-aeolusproject.rhcloud.com/p/Community_Planning
>
> There are some elements we need to include, and others are
> ideas that I'm not sure about. ;)
>
> (note - bullet points are here, the details are in the etherpad)
>
>  * Website updates
>    (front page, about pages, roadmap, new user materials)
>
>    As per Francesco's thread on the mailing list. :)
>
>  * Presenting Aeolus
>    (Conferences, AWS Meetups, online Aeolus demo, etc)
>
>  * Getting Aeolus into non-social (:p) media
>    (mainstream news media, magazines, podcasts, etc)
>
>  * Social media
>    (blogging/planet, twitter, etc)
>
>  * Community Outreach
>    (oVirt, AWS Compatible clouds, etc)
>
>  * Use Case development
>    (this feeds into most other stuff)
>
>  * Other ideas
>    (Aeolus weekly summary concept)
>
> Most of these are huge topics in and of themselves.
>
> So, separate email threads for each.  Pick whichever one's
> you're interested in.  Ignore the rest.  ;)
>
> As a useful data point, it's probably worth keeping the
> "Developer Community Funnel" in mind for some of this:
>
>   http://www.slideshare.net/kohsuke/building-developer-community

Thanks for putting this together Justin. Everybody please read through
the linked pad when you get a chance, it's got some good stuff. I'd
like to see upstream agree -- maybe even vote? -- on the details
within two weeks and then get a final version on the wiki with tasks
and dates.

Thanks,
--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey