Aeolus website improvements

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Fri Jul 13 16:41:02 UTC 2012

On 14/07/2012, at 2:05 AM, Francesco Vollero wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> some time ago, I go trough with Jan Wildeboer to see what's wrong with our
> the website and so on. Until now we've an huge list of things that from
> my point should be changed asap.

Some very good points here. :)

Going to regroup them a bit for my first response here, as some of them
have similar dependencies. ;>

> A quick list:
>
> - The developer info says "Open Source" but not which license.
> - Having the mailing list link and the IRC channel in plain sight.

This stuff can be done immediately, as there aren't any dependencies
we have to wait on.  Want to submit patches? :)

> - The architecture picture of Aeolus in the frontpage.

Interesting thought.  Yeah, that would be useful.  Needs some good
candidate ideas probably.

It'll probably take a few ideas/concepts, reviews on mailing list.
Give it a week from when it's started. ;)

> - Make it more personal. People attach to people, not to code. (I
> already said that in my previous email with things to do)

That's a bit generic.  Any idea's on how we should approach this?

> - Have in frontpage a videoclip explaining what Aeolus is or have a
> video of a general introduction (elevator pitch, lightning talk) on the
> front page.
> - Create quick videos on the most common usecases like:
>   - "I am a VMWare admin - how can I use Aeolus?"
>   - "I am a DevOps -  how can I use Aeolus?"
>   - "We have RHEL and use EC2 -  how can I use Aeolus?"

100% agreed.  We have a dependency on working upstream Aeolus, that's
also suitable for screencasting with.  *In theory* we're knocking off
the last of the bugs blocking this about now.  With luck, around the end
of this sprint the upstream 0.10.x branch of stuff will be suitable for
doing the above with.

That being said, we can still plan out a lot of the stuff, prior to
creating anything.

We'll need to work out each idea in depth.  Like a movie script, so
we know what's to be said, shown, etc.

Actual recording of screencast time doesn't take long.  The planning
(if we want good results) can take a lot of time.  Days. :/

> - We should really separate more between the users we want to attract
> and the developers you are interested in. We should keep this in mind
> and work on it.
> - Mailing list where users can discuss usecases for aeolus.
> - Mailing list where developers discuss how to develop the project.

Separate user and dev lists?  I'd be happy with that. :)

Hugh, is this workable from your point of view?

Small amount of effort.  From memory, we just need to fill out a form,
and one it get created.  Then we just need to point people at it.  (website,
annoucnement, etc).

> - The newest "recent news" is 3 months old, we should update it fastly.

Dropping that one.  Website has been updated since you wrote that. ;)

> Looking forward for your feedback on those things and how many people we
> should bother to make it done ASAP.

We can ask the graphics people to create an architecture diagram for us,
we'll need to give them the details to put in it though.  (doesn't have
to look great, just needs to get the info to them)

How much time/effort have you got? :)

+ Justin

--
Aeolus Community Manager