Ideas for improving aeolus

Jason Guiditta jguiditt at redhat.com
Fri Jul 6 17:39:56 UTC 2012

After some discussion on list[1] about project direction, it seems there
was general agreement that the project could be made more maintainable,
reusable in other projects, and potentially easier for new contributors
to get started with.  One approach to this is to look at our current
codebase and identify areas that could be extracted into more modular
chunks.  This could take the form of rails engines, rack middleware,
libraries, or $something-else. Following is a list of ideas that a small
group of us brainstormed.  We wrote up the basic ideas, and now want to
get the community involved for feedback and so we can refine the designs
(or even toss any out that end up not making sense).

======== Already in progress ===========

Note that these can and should still be discussed and debated to make
sure any work does not need to be immediately redone because nobody looked
at it besides the contributor(s) directly working on it.

* image management engine (already in progress)
* https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Image_Management_Engine
* cloud state tracker (already in progress) -
* http://etherpad-aeolusproject.rhcloud.com/p/feature-cloud_state_tracker
* possibly a multi-instance (deployment) launcher and manager -
* http://etherpad-aeolusproject.rhcloud.com/p/deployment_launcher_and_manager

======== Ideas under discussion (not started) =======

* A separate credential store
   - http://etherpad-aeolusproject.rhcloud.com/p/cloud-permission-store
* A separate select-o-matic engine, for choosing where to launch
   - http://etherpad-aeolusproject.rhcloud.com/p/provider-selection-algorithm
* Whether/how to break permissions out into a separate engine
   - http://etherpad-aeolusproject.rhcloud.com/p/permissions-engine
* Event Library/API/Framework
   - http://etherpad-aeolusproject.rhcloud.com/p/feature-event-api
* Post-boot config server, maybe integrated with Puppet/Foreman
   moreso than current Audrey
* Developer tooling for working with the entire project
   - http://etherpad-aeolusproject.rhcloud.com/p/feature-developer-tooling
* Converge UI Engine
   - http://etherpad-aeolusproject.rhcloud.com/p/feature-converge-ui-engine
* Where template and deployable authoring should be done - 1 proposal:
** Template Composer
   - http://etherpad-aeolusproject.rhcloud.com/p/feature-template-composer

This email is just a reformatted version of a public etherpad [2], so
you may feel free to respond to ideas directly here, or contribute to
the pages linked. Thanks for any and all feedback!

-j

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/pipermail/aeolus-devel/2012-June/010677.html
[2] http://etherpad-aeolusproject.rhcloud.com/p/arch-revamp-june-2012