conductor html improvements

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Tue Feb 28 20:12:09 UTC 2012

Sorry for being so slow to reply. The good news is that this reply is
more prompt than last time; it's less than week after you sent your
email! ;) Replies below:

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 08:05:36PM +1000, Andy Fitzsimon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'll save it for tomorrow to do a proper writeup and finish the mockup
> but i've added some of the things i've been working on
> (with lots of help from Tomas) here.
>

> https://github.com/andyfitz/mockductor/tree/master/static
>
> I'll merge it into the conductor UI repo soon too
>
> Basically this gives more power to the stylesheet and simplifies the html view structure and linking workflows hugely.
> a very immature state of an example app is here. no it won't work in old browsers but now supporting them will be much much easier.
>  http://file.bne.redhat.com/~afitzsim/static/login.html
> (sorry about the internal link)

Overall, I'm liking this. Especially when I view the markup -- it's easy
to make sense of. I think freeing developers from having to worry much
about styling in their everyday tasks is a huge win.

As I've mentioned before, I think the implementation is going to have
look more at a series of evolutionary changes, as I think a complete
overhaul at the flip of a switch will be too disruptive.

> Four things to think of about
>
> * any view can be activated or have any content from it inlined simply with a link.

It's probably premature, but I'm very curious about how this integrates
with Rails. I believe you've stated that it's rather easy to do; I'm
just curious about seeing it in action and trying it.

I have a (semi-baseless) fear that this will turn into a bit of a
challenge to get working right in our app.

> * no stylistic classes to worry about remembering, functional classes only (e.g. .active not .tab or .left-120)
> * no bitmaps or images to maintain, slice or cringe at when scaled
> * Eventually three http requests only (css,js,html) (which we could even inline to one)
> * freakin tiny
> * more control to css, less maintaining html.
>
> initial thoughts ?

Good stuff -- thanks for sharing!