Brainstorming tasks for next sprint

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Tue Feb 14 16:42:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:30:08AM -0500, Jason Guiditta wrote:
> On 14/02/12 10:59 -0500, John Eckersberg wrote:
> >On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:46:24 -0500, Jason Guiditta <jguiditt at redhat.com> wrote:
> >>Better patch management than just sending to list.  This is a _very_
> >>long-standing issue that we need to attempt (again) to resolve.  I am
> >>not against trying pull requests in github (probably on some trial
> >>basis, with a small group vetting it and assembling feedback, so as to
> >>not throw everybody off on something we may or may not keep).  There
> >>are also a number of other projects around for this kind of thing that
> >>we could pilot - patchwork and gerrit in the public space, and our own
> >>(not the best name) trapaas, that resulted from some work mzatko did
> >>for me when he was an intern (think the code is on github, not sure in
> >>what state).  I am sure there are plenty of other options we coudl
> >>consider, these are just a couple I remember from last tiem I looked
> >>at this problem.  But the fact remains - the list is a poor patch
> >>management tool, and is insufficient for our needs.
> >
> >Yes, this.  I'm curious, given the "attempt (again)" bit, what has been
> >done in the past to try and correct this (and ultimately failed)?
>
> The part that always fils is agreement and support of any specific
> path.  Someone always pipes up with either 'this is how we do it at
> red hat', or "if it's good enough for <insert project>, then it should
> be good enoughfor us, what is wrong with you people anyway?'.  I say
> enough of tht, and let's try to improve this thing now.

As an avid *reader* of the patch flow and the review discussions
around patches, I would only ask that the team preserve that aspect of
the current setup -- meaning, please don't take away my ability to
track everything that's going on with Aeolus code simply by reading
the mailing list.

Beyond that, as far as I'm concerned it's up to the team to
decide. I tend to think that Github pull requests obscure the
development discussion more than I would like by pulling the
discussion off mail and onto web pages, but again that's just my
opinion.

Thanks,
--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey