API RFC: Information in deployable #show

Maros Zatko mzatko at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 15:38:46 UTC 2012

On 12/12/2012 12:06 PM, Jiří Stránský wrote:
> [...]
> response for two reasons:
>
> * Simply to make clear what the relationship means. It's the same
> reason why our data model has the relationship named "owner", not
> "user". I believe this information shouldn't get lost.
>
> * In case there are multiple users linked to a deployment (or sth
> else) in the future, we'd *have* to indicate semantics to avoid
> ambiguity of having two <user> links.
>
> Maybe this could be indicated by <user rel="owner" ... />. I'm not
> sure of this and it's not a priority question right now, but imho it's
> a reason for not putting the <user> there at all for now.
>
> [snip]

> as!
>>>   we!

>>> To brainstorm further - if we make it a separate resource, I wonder
>>> if we should make it totally separate, like Tim has it (template can
>>> be created independently of images). Say:
>>>
>>> /api/deployabletemplates/:id
>>>
>>> Then deployables and deployments DB records would link to these
>>> templates, and templates would have to become read-only (create, but
>>> never update), like in Tim.
>>>
>>> This would force us to do significant changes in the DB model as
>>> well (and I wonder if we'd want/need to change UI workflow anyhow),
>>> because currently the template is embedded as an attribute into
>>> deployable and deployment. This solution would be probably very time
>>> consuming to implement, but should be possible.
>>>
>>> Or, if we should make it as a simple nested subresource. Say:
>>>
>>> /api/deployables/:deployable_id/template
>>> /api/deployment/:deployment_id/template
>>>
>>> This approaich is imho possible without performing a major surgery
>>> on Conductor and solves the problem of API representation. The first
>>> approach on the other hand seems a bit cleaner by design.
>>>
>>> I cannot decide right now which one I'd prefer more :)
>>>

>> I am for separated resources too.
>
> Hehe and Richard just wrote that we should embed :) Anyways, yesterday
> I found that CDATA sections *can* be nested [1], even though it's more
> of a trick than a designed way. So, I think we could use CDATA for
> embedding XML after all.
>
> CDATA pros:
> * Seems to be the correct way (compared to non-CDATA embedding) when
> we treat templates as data, not as resources
>
> CDATA cons:
> * Tim doesn't use it, Tim allows embedding templates without CDATA [2]
> -> we would be inconsistent
> * We would force clients to use the trick [1] in their POST/PUT
> requests if their templates contained CDATA.
>
> A problem I think of with nested resources: Even if we make it nested
> resource for GET requests, we'd still have to support embedding in
> POST for *deployables* (deployable has to be created with it's
> template in the current data model). It doesn't remove embedding
> completely.
>
> Unless I missed something important, I'm tempted to go the way of
> simple embedding without CDATA, as Richard suggested.
We cannot simply embed one XML into another. Simply because their
structure can change independently on each other. However there is way
how to do it using XML namespaces [X]. Which is the way I would propose.

Embedding would be almost the same as without that, please look at
<Beers> example in [X].

[X] - http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names11/