moving wiki content

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 20:22:00 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 10:44:54AM -0500, Mo Morsi wrote:
>    The following is the list of wiki pages grouped by their ultimate
>    destination. If there are any errors please reply here. I'll start the
>    migration process this week.
>
>    Still need to figure out how to handle images and files that have been
>    uploaded and links to other wiki pages.
>
>      -Mo
>
>    -----------------------------
>
>    to site wiki:

We never found a better place, though the website's wiki feels like an
odd spot. I'd almost be up for just putting these on the Conductor wiki,
since it's sort of been a de facto location for stuff that's
cross-project.

> [...]
>    [1]GitHub_Branches_and_Tags
>    Git_Workflow
>    Packaging
>    Patch_Reviews_and_Commits
>    Personas
>    Presentations
>    Publicity_Cabal
>    Release_Cabal
>    Release_Checklist
>    Release_Process
>    RHEV-M_Setup
>    Setting_up_Openstack
>    Setting_up_oVirt
>    Upgrading_Aeolus
>    Using_the_RHEV-M_API
>    VSphere_Setup
>    Website_Cabal
>    Website_Revamp_Project
>    X-Deltacloud-Provider
>
>    to conductor wiki:
>    API_Style_Guide
>    Catalogs
>    Cloud_State
>    Common_Error_Messages
>    Code_Repository_and_Commits
>    Conductor
>    Completed_Security_Tasks
>    ConductorAPIResourceRepresentation
>    [2]ConductorAPIv1_0
>    Conductor_Audit_and_Update
>    Conductor_Deployable_Template_Stories
>    Conductor_Image_Management_API_design
>    Conductor_on_OSX
>    Conductor_UI_Style_Guide
>    Debugging_Conductor_(production)
>    Deployable_Deployment_and_Instance_API
>    Deployables
>    Deployable_XML
>    Deployments
>    Forms
>    Glossary_of_Terms
>    Hardening_conductor_entry_points
>    Hardening_Conductor_models
>    Hardening_the_app
>    Image_Building_CLI
>    Implementing_New_Providers
>    Implementing_OpenStack_support
>    Infrastructure_Security_Needs
>    Instance_and_provider_states
>    Instances
>    Internationalization
>    Launching_Instances
>    Launch_requests_blocking_on_approval
>    LDAP_Support
>    List_of_log_files
>    List_of_UI_Annoyances
>    Model_Arch_Diagrams
>    Mustache_templates
>    Notification_System
>    OAuth
>    OAuth_-_Conductor_and_ConfigServer
>    Pool_Families
>    Pools
>    Provider_Accounts
>    Providers
>    Provider_Selection_Algorithms
>    Provider_Types
>    Realm_Mappings
>    Realms_-_Front_End
>    Realms_-_Provider
>    Renaming_All_the_Components
>    Roles_and_Permissions
>    Roles_list
>    Scheduleddelayed_launch_and_maximum_execution_time
>    Support_complex_provider_selection_algorithms
>    Upstream_and_Product_Name_Cheatsheet
>    Using_Audrey_with_Conductor
>
>    to other wikis:
>    Building_Images_for_RHEL (imagefactory, oz)

Not to complicate things, but some of these (such as the 'Building
Images for RHEL' page) were things meant to be how-to guides for
Conductor users, IIRC. It's interesting to me that there are only four
pages that don't fall into the project-wide or Conductor categories so
far -- it almost makes me wonder if we should just lump everything under
one wiki.

>    excluding: (Most of these are feature pages, alot of these are done or no
>    longer apply)
>    *Sprint*

Is there historic value in these?

>    Adding_Caching_to_Conductor
>    Adding_Permission_Grant_list_to_UserGroup_Profile_UI
>    Add_Targeted_Reports_and_Statistical_Data
>    Adding_User_Groups
>    Aeolus-configure
>    Aeolus_vs_OpenStack
>    Aeolus_User_Stories
>    Aeolus_uninstall
>    Allow_Conductor_to_keep_a_history_of_deployment_activity
>    All_provider_config_to_reside_in_Conductor
>    Auto_Scaling
>    Background_Processing
>    Clearing_iwhd

I was looking for this page just the other day, trying to help someone
with a messed-up 1.0 install. I expect this is quite uncommon, but it
kind of makes me wonder if there's more value than meets the eye in
keeping some of these pages around.

>    Command_Line_Interface_commands
>    Condor_Removal
>    Completed_Publicity_Cabal_Agenda_Items
>    Conductor 2012* (not sure what these are)
>    [3]ConductorAPI
>    Conductor_API_v_1
>    Consistent_forms_in_Conductor_UI
>    Current_Release_Patches_Needed
>    Dbomatic_testability_and_performance
>    Design_the_model_changes_for_support_of_stateful_instances
>    Detailed_architecture_of_the_Conductor_UI
>    Documentation_Plan
>    Document_Conductor_developer_setup
>    [4]Document_Conductor_models_and_relationships
>    [5]Feature*
>    Frequently_Asked_Questions (not much here)
>    Git_Inside
>    I4_S4_Infra_Planning
>    I4_S5_Infra_Planning
>    ICICLE (?)
>    Image_BuildPush
>    Imagefactory_API__Conductor_Work
>    Image_Models
>    IME_Conductor_Integration
>    Infra*Sprint*
>    In_Development
>    Infrastructure_Projects
>    Iteration*Sprint*
>    Integration_Environment_+_Automated_Tests
>    Known_limitations
>    Launching_deployments_with_interdependent_instances
>    Moving_Redmine_to_OpenShift
>    Multimachine_aeolus-configure
>    Next-generation_Testing_Brainstorm
>    Next_Sprint_Candidates_(Infra)
>    Next_Sprint_Candidates_(QEAutomation)
>    P*-s*
>    Optimize_Hardware_Matching
>    Other_Components_Security
>    OVirt_Setup (empty)
>    Pacemaker_Cloud_and_Conductor_Notification_API
>    Pages_to_migrate
>    Permission_record_denormalization
>    Plugins_In_Use
>    Plugins_Of_Interest
>    Publicity cabal minutes*
>    Portlets
>    Proposed_Wiki_Reorg
>    Public_Redmine
>    Rails3_Upgrade
>    Rails_best_practices_output (all but empty)
>    Rationalise_Conductor's_UI_code
>    Redmine*
>    Reduce_or_Eliminate_Conductor_Remote_Calls_to_Image_Warehouse
>    Robust_instance_launching
>    RPM_diff_between_master_and_product
>    Shared_UI_with_Katello
>    SocialNetworks
>    Sprint*
>    Syslog_Libraries
>    Testing_DMA
>    Testing_holy_grail
>    Upcoming_Topics
>    Using_the_Rails_console

I'd put this together a while back to help less-technical people. I'm
not sure anyone has used it in a while, though it may still have value.

>    V2 Conductor*
>    Wiki

This appears to be the main page. Are we just going to rename it?

> References
>
>    Visible links
>    1. GitHub_Branches_and_Tags
> 	file:///tmp/GitHub_Branches_and_Tags.html
>    2. ConductorAPIv1_0
> 	file:///tmp/ConductorAPIv1_0.html
>    3. ConductorAPI
> 	file:///tmp/ConductorAPI.html
>    4. Document_Conductor_models_and_relationships
> 	file:///tmp/Document_Conductor_models_and_relationships.html
>    5. Feature*
> 	file:///tmp/

Thanks for putting this together, Mo. Seems like we had an awful lot of
stuff on the wiki!

I noted a handful of stuff that I'm not sure we need to delete; every
now and then it's useful to be able to go back and look at old sprint
documents or whatnot. (Case in point, I recently had to help someone
pull a design doc off of the old Mediawiki site.) In general I'd
advocate keeping anything that isn't misleading and wrong, and doesn't
make sense to update. Overall, I think this gets us fairly close,
though. (We can always delete pages _after_ the migration, too -- and in
fact they'll enter git history that way. Hence my thinking that it makes
sense to be quite conservative with what we delete.)