Should we include images templates with next major release?

Tomas Sedovic tsedovic at redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 14:02:07 UTC 2012

On 12/03/2012 01:26 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have slowly-developing upstream repo of image templates for the existing
> Aeolus:
>
>    https://github.com/aeolus-incubator/templates
>
> When we do the next major Aeolus release, it would be useful to include them
> "already bundled" in some useful way.

Very much so. Heat has been doing this from the start and it's been very
helpful to newcomers (users, developers and potential users evaluating
the tool).

I would actually go a step further and offer not only templates but
deployables as well. I know we can make a trivial deployable from a
given template so this would be for showing off more complex stuff:
multi-instance deployments, launch-time parameters and provisioning, etc.

We can put them in the Default (or Sample) catalog and have Conductor
immediately useful.

Bundling sample deployables will be more difficult because they need to
contain specific image IDs in order to be launchable, but I still think
it's a good idea to do.

> To make it practical though, a few things would need to happen:
>
>   + Update them to use CentOS 6.x
>
>     The templates are using various versions of Fedora at the moment, some
>     F16, some F17, etc.
>
>     CentOS 6.x is one of the primary "supported" platforms for next
>     upstream release, whereas F16 will be completely EOL soon.  So we're
>     probably best to update the templates for CentOS 6.  Won't have to
>     update them every 6 months after that. ;)

I agree. We should provide some Ubuntu images as well. It will serve two
purposes:

1. we show that we do in fact support Ubuntu guests as a first-class OS
2, a significant portion of the upstream developers use and are familiar
with Ubuntu

If we offer their LTS releases, we would only have to update the
templates every two year.

>   + Figure out how to bundle them in said "useful way"
>
>     + Should they be pulled down by dev-tools, and placed on the
>       filesystem at suitable location?
>
>     + Should they be pre-populated in Conductor?

If we don't do this, the benefit will be very limited. If you have to
add the templates to Conductor manually, you gain little over getting
them from GitHub -- especially since you can already add the templates
via URL.