[katello-devel] Deployable and System Template Portability

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 12:46:02 UTC 2012

On 23/08/2012, at 10:25 PM, James Labocki wrote:
<snip>
> Would the templates already be binary images or component outlines pointing to a repo to build? If templates, would it be difficult to ship large binary images around as part of Aeolus? If component outlines, where would the point for packages?

Definitely the XML version of things, not binary images. ;)

For upstream, if we use Fedora or CentOS as the base, then
the packages can be either:

 a) Those provided in Fedora/CentOS/EPEL repos.

    This is pretty easy for Fedora at least, the repo URLs
    can utilise the Fedora mirror network.

    For example, something like this:

    https://github.com/aeolusproject/audrey/blob/master/examples/wordpress/fedora_16_x86_64_ec2-wordpress-httpd.xml

 b) Nginx (for example) provide rpms in their own repos
    too.  So, leveraging from whatever's appropriate
    there.

      http://nginx.org/packages/

> It would be nice if the `aeolus-configure -p templates` option were coordinated with `katello-configure -p templates`. This would mean that all a user would need to do is:
>
> 1. `yum install aeolus-all`
> 2. `yum install katello-all`
> 3. `katello-configure -p templates`
> 4. import Red Hat Manifest and sync appropriate repos in katello (which might be highlighted by the "templates" configure option in katello)
> 5. `aeolus-configure -p templates`
> 6. build images (or maybe the "templates" option can kick builds off on behalf of the user?)
>
> Having a way to share images between clouds in aeolus would also be nice in this scenario because it would be possible to move images between a "stage" could and "my" cloud if the images were built in a staging area.
>
> Let me know if this sounds way off.

Well, I can't really speak to the Katello integration points much, as I didn't
get very far into trying out Katello.  So, my depth with it isn't up to making
decisions with. ;)

+ Justin

--
Aeolus Community Manager