Direction for Conductor development scripts/tooling

Jason Guiditta jguiditt at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 15:48:29 UTC 2012

On 21/08/12 11:21 -0400, John Eckersberg wrote:
>I keep coming back to using puppet to handle the dev setup the more I
>think about it.  Granted, I am probably biased, having used it for at
>least a man-year for better or worse :)
>
>Here's what I think we need to be able to do:
>
>1. Install required dependencies in a platform-agnostic manner.  Puppet
>can do this (yum for rpm-based, apt for deb-based,
>whatever-the-heck-mac-os-uses works too)
If there is a homebrew provider for puppet, that would probably do it,
and I think we have a few folks that know how it works at least
reasonably well.

>2. Clone dev-sources from upstream source (conductor, imagefactory,
>deltacloud, audrey, configure?)
aeolus-cli, aeolus-image (for now), optionally any that are in the
incubator - this should be (eventually) a dynamic list for core and
incubator orgs, at least IMO.

>3. Drop any needed config files into the cloned source repos
>
>4. Ad-hoc things to run (db:migrate, etc.)
>
>5. Start services from source checkout

This would be optional, I hope, as QE would likely want services
running, but dev would not (or at least not all and not all the time).

Yeah, I have to say you have largely convinced me of this as well.  I
do still like the idea of _wrapping_ this in some cli tooling, which
could add other things that would be handy for development (examples
are pulling master or some branch for all repos you have checked out,
building new rpms for everything like build-all currently does, etc).
However, if everything we need can be done in puppet directly, I would
not be opposed to this at all.

>That's at a high level.  The reason I really tend towards puppet is
>because in the details, there's a whole boatload of things that are
>inter-dependent on each other and need to happen in some sort of
>ordering, but at the same time need to be platform-agnostic.  Puppet is
>good at this.  Other tools will be a bear to make functional across
>platforms and make sure all the dependencies are wired up properly.

I can definitely see this for things that are different cross
platform, but things like the rake tasks I think are less compelling
(though if they were the only things that didnt fit quite as well, I
would not strongly opposed their inclusion).

>Maybe I'm in an optimistic mood, but I think a first pass at this is
>attainable within a single sprint.

That would be all kinds of awesome :)

-j