ACA Side Topic - Proposal: templates.aeolusproject.org

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 13:25:24 UTC 2012

On 09/06/2012, at 2:40 AM, Francesco Vollero wrote:
<snip>
>> FWIW Dan M has volunteered to work with Andy to come up with a basic
>> info architecture and design (fitting since it was ~his idea). If we
>> can get something together on that next week I would think we could
>> get a prototype up and running pretty quickly after that.
>
> Perfect. I'll pair up with them to see what we can get. I will also take Matt
> with me to help develop the code.

How's this for a concept for the front page, and the "details" page for a
template? (drawn in pencil, local coffee shop :>)

  http://justinclift.fedorapeople.org/templates.aeolusproject.org/first_visual_concept.pdf

The 2nd page of the pdf has some rough ideas that came up while sketching
this out:

  * We'll almost definitely need a "bundle" format defined, so 1 file can
    hold everything needed for a template. (deployable, image xml, metadata, etc)

    Maybe all relevant xmls zipped together in a logical structure, similar
    to how LibreOffice does stuff for the ODF formats?  Something like:

      mytemplate.zip <--container file
      /
      |- images / image1.xml
      |         / image2.xml

      |- deployable.xml
      |- metadata.xml
      |- logo.png

      ?

  * "Fork" a template

    Had this idea while sketching stuff out.  If you see a template on
    the site you like, but want to adjust it... click a "fork" button
    similar to GitHub.  Maybe your changes and either add them to your
    own catalog or submit them back to the original author. (concept)

Note, the suggested idea of "apps.aeolusproject.org" might be very bad,
from the point of view of Apple litigation:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc._litigation#Amazon_.22App_Store.22

If people feel it's worth considering, we can check with Red Hat Legal
pretty easily.

Anyway, that's a start for an end stage concept (without workflow) we
can work backwards from.

Thoughts anyone?

+ Justin

--