Direction for Conductor development scripts/tooling

Mo Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 11:36:22 UTC 2012

On 08/17/2012 06:17 PM, Crag Wolfe wrote:
> The glaring issue right now is that they don't attempt to do anything
> with respect to setting up Image Factory, Deltacloud, etc. which means
> the user isn't going to get very far in the Conductor WUI when it
> comes to adding provider accounts, building images, etc.  As pointed
> out in #aeolus, aeolus-configure does this (and more) so grabbing a
> subset of this puppetry should do the trick.
>
> Now, here is where the conversation typically flies off the rails
> *cough* because there is the potential for all sorts of
> scripts/tooling.
>
> I think the short-term goal (and at this point it feels like
> low-hanging fruit by using part of aeolus-configure) is to modify the
> existing scripts to install and configure all the needed components.
> I.e., just follow these two steps to set up a development server with
> a sandbox based on the upstream Conductor code base.  This is
> primarily about helping new developers (who may or may not already be
> rails or linux experts).  And it would also be a boon to QA by
> providing a simplified way to test the upstream Conductor code base.
>
> *But* Aeolus has a slew of components (Conductor, Oz, Image Factory,
> Image Warehouse, Audrey) plus a dependency on deltacould.  It would be
> nice if the scripts/tooling could download, build and
> configure-with-reasonable-defaults upstream versions of all of the
> components, not just "yum install" stable versions as is currently the
> case (it would be nicer still if this could be done not-as-root) which
> is roughly what Jason proposed with "developer tooling"[4].

As it stands, if you edit /etc/aeolus-configure/nodes/default_configure
and change 'packages_provider' from 'rpm'  to 'yum', all the Aeolus
packages and dependencies will be yum installed when running 'sudo
aeolus-configure -p default'

The default value of 'package_provider' was the source of a bit of
discussion a while back but it was decided to use 'rpm' as default so as
to rely on packages explicitly installed by the sysadmin.

  -Mo