Feedback needed for design of Flash messages

Jaromír Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 12:01:33 UTC 2012

>> Another fact is, that majority occurrence of flash messages is at
>> form pages, where we will (hopefully) have improved forms with
>> highlighted invalid input fields. And what we don't want is to
>> significantly alert to user on each and every place of the page that
>> he is wrong. This could be contra-productive.
> This is a really good point that I hadn't considered, actually. Although
> they're not all like that, and I think we need the more critical
> failures (for example, launch failures) to be called out a good bit.
Yeah, I am wondering where all of flash messages can appear. All
occurrences which I found until now (apart from forms) could (and
hopefully would in the future) be solved differently (e.g. disable
button for user so he can't got to error state, etc.).

Regarding launch failure - isn't it more notification issue than flash
message case (If it can happen during launch time and not immediately
after click)?

I am still not aware of all possible errors and their occurrences (I am
trying to figure it out). If we need really critical flash message, we
can create special - really visible - one. But those flash messages,
which I suggested, are more for forms use-case, which makes majority of
its usage. And I hope still usable anywhere else.

Anyway, in time I would like to create a list of all possible errors (or
messages in general) we are throwing in UI and then, regarding this
list, we can continue in improving them. Till then I suggest to use less
aggressive way and we will see. Changing its look is easy then ;) Agree?

>> I think, if we have flash messages at the top of the page (don't get
>> confused by codepan, because it displays it in the second half of the
>> page), the visibility should be enough, because it should also
>> cooperate with other features to help user in fulfilling his goal.
>> Not as independent alerting function.
> Do you mean *above* the blue header, at the very top of the page?
No, no. I don't wanna move with header. I meant under the blue header -
at least for now I would like to keep the position as it is. In current
structure the position looks quite ok.

-- Jarda

--
Jaromír Coufal

Interaction Designer
Red Hat Czech s.r.o.

Mobile: +420 724 595 508
E-mail: jcoufal at redhat.com
IRC: jcoufal at #cloudforms-ui, #aeolus, #brno