Design of Forms

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 17:15:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 05:32:19PM +0200, Jaromír Coufal wrote:
> One more "hello" :)
>
> another thing I have designed is a layout and behavior of forms - you
> can check it here:
>
> http://codepen.io/coufalj/pen/qiEkH
>
> Still working on responsive, but it is not that important in this
> stage. What do you think about this concept of forms used across our
> whole application?

Hi Jarda,

Looks good, as usual!

A few nits, though I think they're largely personal opinion:

- I think the "?" for tooltips should be closer to the input. Maybe on
  the other side of the label? Or maybe on the right of the input? It's
  just where I would look for it.

- While using a "*" to mark required inputs has a lot of precedent, it's
  also sometimes used to denote fine print or a footnote. Would it be
  clearer if we used bold text for required fields, maybe?

I wonder about the markup, though. Will a developer building a form need
to deal with creating a .control_group that contains a .left_column and a
.right_column? It seems like this could be error-prone. Or will the form
library we discussed automate this?

The Date input does not work in my browser.

Overall, this is great, though. It looks both aesthetically pleasing and
intuitive.