RFC: Notification system

Jaromír Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 08:33:28 UTC 2012

On 13.8.2012 23:32, Matt Wagner wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 05:26:55PM -0400, Matt Wagner wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I've been dwelling on user notifications a bit more. #3623 implies this
>> functionality, and there are some comments visible here:
>> https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/issues/3623
>>
>> We have some licensing difference between our projects (grr!), but it
>> might make sense to see about borrowing the Katello implementation
>> rather than reinventing this from the ground up. They already support
>> persistent notifications which can be sent to multiple users, though
>> we'd have to add email notifications and perhaps notification
>> preferences. I added a couple of screenshots as well.
>>
>> Let me know what you think -- does this seem like a good approach for us
>> to follow?
> My email would make _way_ more sense if I included the wiki page I
> intended to link to:
> https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Notification_System
>
> That has most of the information you actually need, and my previous
> email was just meant to invite you to look at it. D'oh!
>
> -- Matt
Hello Matt,

did you look over the mock-up I've send you? It's quite similar system
as Katello's when I look at their screenshots. The only difference is my
suggestion to distinguish between three types of notification -
informative, warnings (alerts), approvals. It's for user's better
orientation to quickly realize what happened (not just number in the
header, but also part of its semantics).

One more difference is maybe between dismissing. From Katello's
screenshot it looks that you dismiss the notification by deleting it. I
would suggest to dismiss item by seeing it and still keep it in the
system on notification page.

I will just attach the notification mock-up to this conversation thread
as well (for others, if they are interested).

Does it make sense for you?

-- Jarda

--
Jaromír Coufal

Interaction Designer
Red Hat Czech s.r.o.

Mobile: +420 724 595 508
E-mail: jcoufal at redhat.com
IRC: jcoufal at #cloudforms-ui, #aeolus, #brno