VMPayload changes in oVirt 3.1

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Mon Aug 13 13:06:41 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 10:13:18AM +0200, Michal Fojtik wrote:
> On Aug 11, 2012, at 5:31 PM, Justin Clift <jclift at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Justin,
>
> Yes, we are aware of this new feature and I like it a lot. Actually we were
> pushing this for a half year (there is even RFE open from us in RHEVM/oVirt BZ ;-)
>
> The problem we are facing now, is not 'how to implement that' (it's pretty straight forward),
> but 'if we are going to implement it now()'.
>
> Since the majority of people now are using RHEV-M 3.0 and we need to support that,
> JRD and others hesitate to switch over to this feature and claim hook method 'obsolete'.
>
> What I think we can do here is to update rbovirt gem, we use as interface for oVirt API
> and add this new feature there along with the old hook code. That can work together
> for old hook method and also for new method.
>
> There is also problem with Audrey agent. I think with this new method, the user-data
> file will appear in different location (correct me if i'm wrong). It will mean
> that Audrey will somehow need to know to what version (of what injection method) was
> used when launching an instance.
>
> Cheers,
>
>   -- Michal

Seems to me we need to get working now on compatibility across rhev
3.0/oVirt 3.1 and (eventually) rhev 3.1. We're going to have to support
both versions anyway, so let's get it done now.

Michal let me know if you need any help making this happen.

--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey