RFC: Sprint summary emails

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Mon Aug 6 13:27:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 02:32:10AM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 24/07/2012, at 8:58 PM, Angus Thomas wrote:
> > On 07/23/2012 09:28 PM, Matt Wagner wrote:
> >> If people agree that this is useful, I'd be happy to take a stab at
> >> writing it up next sprint during/after the planning call. What do you
> >> think? And should Conductor/Infra emails be separate, or combined?
> >
> > This is a good idea, and ties in well with other discussions which have bee going on recently. For example, the QE team have requested more information about planned stories, so that they're well enough informed to start creating updated tests which will exercise the new features.
> >
> > I think I should take on this responsibility, and leave you free to actually implement stuff, since it falls in the realm of organising the sprints.
>

> Yep, more fleshed out descriptions for what is being worked on each
> sprint definitely sounds highly useful.
>
> Would it be possible to either have it done via the mailing list,
> or an email each time (to aeolus-devel) with a link to the new
> sprint content?

On Friday, I took a stab at writing something like I described above,
but for the blog versus email:
http://blog.aeolusproject.org/conductor-sprint-2012-8/

I personally find it much easier to read / more approachable than
viewing the Redmine backlog. I did find that I spent a while rewording
things to be more catered to end users.

So my question is -- is this useful? Is this something that should
become standard practice for each sprint's start?

(Looking back at the subject of this email thread, it occurs to me that
when I said "Sprint summary," I probably chose my words poorly -- I
intended an email at the _beginning_ of a sprint, summarizing what they
would contain. But "Sprint summary" seems to imply the end of a sprint,
which is a different matter -- though we should do something good there,
too.)