RFC Feature Planning: Rationalise Conductor's UI code

Imre Farkas ifarkas at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 15:13:40 UTC 2012

On 04/03/2012 04:57 PM, Matt Wagner wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 04:30:37PM +0200, Imre Farkas wrote:
>> On 04/02/2012 02:58 PM, Jirka Tomasek wrote:
>>> https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Rationalise_Conductor's_UI_code
>>> <https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Rationalise_Conductor%27s_UI_code>
>>>

>>> Jirka
>>
>> I merged the content of the mustache.js and the unused js libs
>> feature page into this one, and deleted those.
>>
>> Please note that Jason already started a discussion on mustache.js on
>> the task's page [1] and more comments are welcome.
>>
>> Imre
>>
>> [1] https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/issues/3071
>
> I have to confess to not knowing a lot about Mustache.js beyond the
> high-level overview of what it provides... But can we use Mustache and
> still support users without JavaScript? In other words, is this used
> only for AJAX updates, or will it be used for ordinary pages where a
> user could conceivably not have JavaScript?
>
> -- Matt

Mustache is a template language that can be parsed by javascript and by
rails. It means that rails can render mustache templates in the same way
as it renders haml templates. It doesn't matter if the user's browser
supports javascript or not since the result of the rendering on the
rails side is html. The benefit of mustache is that it can also be
parsed in javascript. So it should be used on both ordinary pages and
for AJAX updates, but the user's browser's javascript support would
still not affect the rendering of ordinary page.

Imre