I have just run
fedup --network 22
and have several issues as a result.
1. PostgreSQL databases were not upgraded from 9.3 to 9.4 and subsequent
attempts to do this manually fail due to locale differences (AU vs US).
(I have requested help on the PostgreSQL list).
2. Amavisd-new no longer works due to issues with PERL.
This seems to be a result of updating PERL from 5.18 to 5.20 breaking a bunch
I thought that I had resolved these by following the hints in cpan error
messages but cannot install Net::LibIDN because idna.h is missing.
I am forced to run without spam or virus checking as a result.
3. All of my local sendmail aliases disappeared causing many inbound emails to
I manually rebuilt /etc/mail/aliases to fix this.
4. After rebooting to F22, I had only one workspace.
I reconfigured to four via settings but now I get apparently random blank
screen with just the mouse cursor visible. Not even a task bar.
The only way that I have found to get my work spaces back is to logout and
5. Some fonts (particularly within Wine apps??) have changed and are much less
readable than before.
MyHeritage Family Tree Builder is one example. I have no idea which fonts were
used in F21 nor in F22.
I'd be grateful for any help in resolving these.
I have been reading about to see what is the best way for me to distribute a
package based on a Python app with a virtual environment. Probably the most
insightful look into what needs to be done is . I am wondering what the
opinion is here on this? I can't script anything that requires external access to
the net, however I could package the modules from Pypi for use with pip but
that doesn't seem like a good alternative.
Anyone else ever have this need, or have any insight into a best approach?
I print several crossword problems every day. Since perhaps Fedora 20 I
have had to use SeaMonkey to print them, actually SeaMonkey v. 2.33.1 in
Fedora 21. That means that I have had to keep an old F21 around on one
computer that usually gets switched on for just that one task each day.
In this computer with F-21 or F-22 and Firefox the images are displayed
and the print menu comes up and it invites me to click on print, however
it doesn't show any printer in the menu, just a blank item and of course
does not print. I don't know how to begin troubleshooting that but I
would like to find a solution and get rid of the F-21 installation.
Perhaps I need to try the Google browser again although I would prefer
Does anyone know how to deal with this?
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
box10 FEDORA-23beta/64bit LINUX XFCE POP3
In the past, this worked for me. When I moved from the ET to elsewhere
in the US or EU.
But this past weekend in HongKong, it did not work. Nor is it working
now in Japan. The system time is right:
Mon Nov 2 01:20:46 JST 2015
But the system bar is showing 11:20am
How do I fix this. Other than trying a reboot...
I have been using Fedora since the beginning and only on a few occasions
have I tried fedup or equivalent when upgrading from one version to the
next - mostly, being a bit obsessive, I have re-installed from scratch
with a XFCE Live CD and reinstalled my Qmail MTA etc etc. So, although
the initial install of the OS was always very quick, I was still
installing odd, infrequently used packages weeks and even months later.
Just now I bit the bullet and for the first time tried the new option:
dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=23
and from rebooting F22 to the new F23 login prompt took just 48 minutes!
Well done and thanks a lot everyone concerned with Fedora development!
It is a great system!
During the 48 minutes I was a little anxious and kept watching the drive
LED and the occasional screen messages to make sure things were still
working but the process eventually finished happily - I did notice some
"failed" messages during the process but of what I saw it didn't look
like they were likely to bother me much - we shall see . .
PO Box 896
Cowra NSW 2794
On Friday, I upgraded my server from Fedora 21 to Fedora 22 using fedup.
This resulted in a number of issues; one of which was that amavisd stopped
working due to a raft of PERL errors.
Apparently the upgrade from PERL 5.18 to 5.20 which came as part of the Fedora
upgrade causes many/most PERL modules to break.
Initially I tried cpan upgrade but this was only partially successful but the
error messages suggested installing something - which I did but forgot to
write down what it was - that got me a bit further.
At this stage there were a number of PERL modules required by amavisd that had
disappeared so needed reinstalling via cpan.
The installation processes went OK until it came to Net::LibIDN.
This module would not install because it claimed that libidn was not installed.
Libidn was installed but apparently the version was not compatible with
something (not a problem in 21) so I downloaded the latest source and
installed it in/usr/local.
This enabled Net::LibIDN to install but there were still a bunch of other
modules that had disappeared at some earlier stage.
Following the error messages from amavisd startup attempts and installing the
required modules eventually got amavisd going again.
I have no idea how to simplify this upgrade. Maybe uninstalling PERL and
amavisd then reinstalling might work but after three days of no spam/virus
filtering I'm not about to try.