On 9/21/18 3:31 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Fri, 2018-09-21 at 08:49 -0400, pmkellly(a)frontier.com wrote:
> Yesterday afternoon (9/20), I did a clean install of F29 Beta 1.5 onto
> bare metal via DVD. The PC is a Lenovo M59P with an E8400 processor. The
> ISO had been check-summed and passed. The PC booted fine and the media
> test ran and passed. Anaconda ran perfectly and the install completed
> normally. I did a restart, logged in, and allowed the lock to time out.
> The fan on this system rarely runs at all, but in a few hours of sitting
> idle the fan came on. I logged in and started the system monitor and
> noted the both core0 and core1 were trading off running at 100%. The
> trade cycle was running between 20 and 30 seconds. Sometimes they would
> both run at 50% for a few seconds. When I looked at the processes,
> gnome-software was the problem. I let the lock time out and left the
> system overnight. This morning (9/21) the fan was running full speed and
> both core0 and core1 was stuck hard at 100%. Again gnome-software was
> the problem. I wanted to see if anything else would run so I started
> Rhythm box. There were delays getting it going, but it did start and
> worked (radio stream) with no apparent gaps in the audio. When I checked
> the Resources and processes, apparently gnome-software was sharing with
> Rhythm Box, but only what Rhythm Box needed. When I closed Rhythm Box,
> gnome-software went back to taking 90+% of the core0 and core1 cycles.
> I just did a restart and the system returned to normal (fan not
> running). This time I'm not going to login. I'm just going to let it sit
> and see what happens.
> This is the same problem I found a few days ago with B 1.3 I wrote about
> it then, but it was a day later, after a reminder that I wrote and
> called out gnome-software.
mschwendt reported much the same in the thread "Neverending CPU usage
by gnome-software and packagekit". I wonder if software/pk is getting
stuck somehow, or doing something far more often than it should. Can
one of you post the output of 'sudo journalctl -b -u packagekit',
I decided to go ahead to try doing some testing. The runaway mode was
still running when I started testing things. First I did the desktop
browser tests and they passed. Then I did the desktop terminal tests and
they also passed. Then I ran the desktop update graphical tests using
the Software application. The application started fine and I could get
to the Updates screen okay, but when I clicked the Refresh button, after
a few seconds I got a gray colored pop up that said it could not
continue and a long list of errors. The pop up does not support Copy so
I didn't capture the details. I closed the Software application and
tried to reopen it. The window came up but the usual graphics and text
was not present. I restarted the PC to get out of the runaway mode and
then I was able to run the update graphical test to completion and it
It seems that this gnome-software runaway mode does more than just use
up cycles. I am discontinuing testing. Please let me know if there is
something more you want me to do / try.
Have a Great! Day!