Fedora dracut-044-75 release has all the component needed to support initrd
rebuild in case of watchdog state change. Therefore sending these patches
for inclusion in kexec-tools.
Please note that these patches should only be added in those fedora
versions which has dracut version dracut-044-75 or latter. Anyway, we
already have dependency specified in spec file as well.
Most of the rebuild test cases have been mentioned in the commit log of
Other than that, I have also tested effect of adding either "-o watchdog"
or "-a watchdog" or none of them. They have been found to behave as
expected. So, when we pass -o watchdog in dracut_args, it does not include
kernel watchdog module whether state is active or inactive. In all other
cases, it adds kernel module only when state is active. I have also
verified that dracut watchdog module is not added when we do not have at
least one active watchdog device.
Changes since V5:
- fixes watchdog module removal in case more than one device
Changes since V4:
- When a watchdog was active previously but now watchdog kernel module
does not exists then rebuild initrd
- When there is not any active watchdog device then do not add "-a
- Updated howto file accordingly.
Changes since V3:
- Now we only look for "-o watchdog" in dracut_args. If it is not passed
then we add "-a watchdog" in dracut_args by default.
- Notes in howto modified accordingly
Changes since V2:
- Removed NOWDT argument. Using dracut_args instead.
- Removed man page update. Included notes in howto
- Reorganized mkdumprd code for watchdog dracut argument addition
Changes since V1:
- Removed patch 4/5 which was updating kdumpctl man page.
- Added all necessary information in kdump.conf man page (patch 2/4).
Pratyush Anand (5):
mkdumprd: Add dracut watchdog module as default option
kdumpctl: force rebuild in case of watchdog state change
howto: Notes on watchdog module handling
watchdog: do not add watchdog module in rd.driver.pre now
spec: Update to add dependency on dracut version >= 044-75
dracut-module-setup.sh | 9 ---------
kdump-lib.sh | 24 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
kdumpctl | 40 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
kexec-kdump-howto.txt | 14 ++++++++++++++
kexec-tools.spec | 3 ++-
mkdumprd | 20 +++++++++++++++++++-
6 files changed, 99 insertions(+), 11 deletions(-)