On 06/14/2016 09:58 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 06/14/16 23:38, Emmett Culley wrote:
> I first posted this to the Fedora list, it then devolved to a nice discussion on
NetworkManager. I now believe I should have posted it here first.
> I have a number of machines (hardware and VMs) running CentOS 7 and KDE. In all
cases firewall-config is not functional.
> First, the service check boxes are not functional. When you click on one, it
don't change to "checked", and nothing changes on the firewall. However you
do see a "Changes applied" in the status bar at the bottom.
> Sometimes, if you go to permanent mode and attempt to edit a zone, the whole desktop
locks up as soon as you click on the default target dropdown. This only happened twice.
> When I run firewall-config from the command line I see the following:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager
was not provided by any .service files
> (firewall-config:5079): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_get_path_at_pos: assertion
'tree_view != NULL' failed
> with the second line repeating many times and often while attempting to interact with
> We don't use NetworkManager except on laptops, and so do not install it. Though
we do install NetworkManager-glib, if only because some packages require it.
> After seeing a similar bug on the RHEL I also installed Netwg.orkManager-libnm, but
that did not make a difference. That RHEL bug also mentioned this problem only occurs on
KDE, and not Gnome. And we only install KDE when a GUI is required, or desired.
Well, I installed CentOS 7 and confirmed your observations. I also installed GNOME and
note that the gtk error messages you show also appear in GNOME. I also note that if you
change a service within KDE the actual change does take effect. Verified this by
switching to GNOME as well as issuing "iptables -L".
So, the problem is simply the checkbox not appearing.
This can be fixed by going to System Settings--->Common Appearance--->Application
Appearance--->GTK+Appearance and changing the Widget style to Adwaita.
That certainly resolved the issue. Once I made the configuration change noted
above and started firewall-config I found that a few services were checked that were not
supposed to be checked. I verified that they were indeed enabled in iptables. I have no
doubt that got checked when I was attempting to figure our what was going on.
Unchecking them did remove those rules from iptables, so I can once again configure server
firewall rule using the GUI. Now all there is to do is verify the rest of our
server's firewall configuration.