On Tuesday 17 February 2009 22:52:05 Gar wrote:
----- Original Message ----
> I just got a fresh copy of the linux driver from Nvidia the other day and
> my desktop is finally working with desktop effects enabled. I wasn't
> able to get much sucess using the kmod-nvidia route. Using the manual
> install of the Nvidia driver works for me *much* better. Of course, this
> also means that every time the kernel updates I have to re-run the shell
> script, but I can handle that minor annoyance to have a working, stable
"working, stable" until the next time libGL gets updated in Fedora and your
overwritten libGL gets replaced with the system version.
NVidia still doesn't understand that you need to use ld.so.conf.d to
override the library with a custom version, not go berserk overwriting
files, so their installer is the quickest way to break your system. They
also overwrite other system files, not just libGL.
True, there is a lot that Nvidia screws up that I don't even realize. After
several years of using the proprietary Nvidia file, it's almost second
nature to reboot in init 3, run the script, and reboot to init 5 with thing
working again. As cool as KDE 4.2 is, and as much as I appreciate being
able to use it, mucking with the Nvidia script is a price I'm willing to
pay, even given that it is not the best option.
fedora-kde mailing list
What sort of problems did you encounter with the kmod-route? I use rpms from
the Livna repo for years without any problems. Sometimes it take a while
before the latest drivers are released. This was e.g. the case with the
transition from the 177.x.x series to the 180.x series. Maybe their 'merge'
had something to do with it, but I was impatient :-) Version 180.22 was known
to have solved the 'Openoffice.org' 'flickering problem' under KDE 4.
So I decided to use the latest Nvidia drivers. I set up a local build
environment - installed rpmdevtools and the rpm-fusion build packages -,
picked the source rpm from Livna/rpmfusion.org
, and edited the spec file to get
the latest Nvidia source build. I installed the libs, kernel module and the
akmod package, so the 'new kernel' problem wouldn't exist.
Very nice is that no system files are getting overwritten - the problem Kevin
Kofler mentioned - and when the rpm-fusion guys come up with their builds they
will overwrite mine, so that I have always the latest version :-)
Hope this can help you.