On 9 June 2017 at 06:39, Aurelien Bompard <abompard(a)fedoraproject.org> wrote:
There's a pretty big DB schema change that I'd like to do in HyperKitty, and
since it involves a primary key I expect a downtime of several hours,
possibly a day (more precise testing going on)
The good news it that mailman will keep running, only the web UIs will be
down (HyperKitty & Postorius, the admin UI).
It's a change that I've put off for a while, but the more we wait the longer
the downtime will be (because it depends on the size of the email table).
What time do you think would be the less worse for such a change? After
freeze break next week? After General Availability (whenever that is) ?
I have a feeling that after freeze break is better because the folks who use
the web UIs to read email may also be those who will need to communicate
more after the GA, to discuss communication and reviews.
I don't mind starting the migration on a weekend of course, to impact less
Thanks for your input.
infrastructure mailing list -- infrastructure(a)lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe send an email to infrastructure-leave(a)lists.fedoraproject.org
OK I would say we can not make any decision until next week, probably
during the Infrastructure meeting. Kevin and Patrick are out and they
are the closest we have to DBAs and similar to help work out the pros
and cons of any plan.
Are you thinking of something like the following (is it even possible?)?
0. Show that we can bring back the website from backups in case we
have to restore because something didn't work.
1. Duplicate the current data into staging.
2. Run the upgrade in staging on that data with a time set.
3. Get an idea if we could move this over and 'rerun' data in the
meantime to catch it up.
4. If we can dump current tables, roll in the tables from staging and
rerun 'inbetween data?'
5. If we can not, then schedule a day downtime and do this. I would go
with a non-workday (Sat/Sun).
Stephen J Smoogen.