I thought it was impossible. Then I thought it was merely impossible
without some terrible hacking. But now, after a bit of inspiration in
the shower this morning, I went ahead and implemented the complete
%autosetup functionality for EPEL5. Currently built as
epel-rpm-macros-5.3 but not yet pushed to testing.
As always, I welcome any testing. If these epel-rpm-macro packages can
get karma, folks could start using the things I'm adding sooner rather
than two weeks from now.
And if you want something added, please file a bugzilla ticket on the
epel-rpm-macros package and I'll have a look.
Since folks on IRC were curious as to how this is possible:
rpm >= 4.6 (i.e. EL6 and newer) provides two tables in the lua
namespace: patches and sources. %autosetup iterates over patches to
work its patch application magic. If you can somehow provide the
patches table in EL5's rpm, you can use the autosetup macros verbatim as
far as I can tell.
So I wrote some lua support functions to iterate over a range of
possible %SOURCEX and %PATCHX macros and stick anything found into the
appropriate table. One line added to the %autosetup definition calls
this function and everything else works. The whole thing is in
/etc/rpm/macros.zzz-epel in the %epel_macros_init() scaffolding and the
By default it looks at all of %PATCH0 through %PATCH100000, which takes
an immeasurably small amount of time on my test VM. If you really want
to use Patch3141527: or whatever, you can set %el5_patches_limit in your
This is all working and tested; it can even prep rpm.spec from current
rawhide without problems.
Show replies by date