On January 27, 2011, Fedora QA hosted a biosdevname Test Day .
Thanks to all who participated on wiki+irc, and kudos to Narendra for
organizing the event. I'm including some feedback from Narendra in this
On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 06:29 -0800, Narendra_K(a)Dell.com wrote:
I believe test day was successful because it provided the required
exposure to biosdevname to a wider user base and provided more
familiarity with the new naming convention. Following issues that came
up were important
* Handling of pci<slot>#<port> where the name contains a '#'. The
scenario exposed issues with anaconda's handling of # in a interface
name, both in 'ksdevice=' scenario and in 'ks.cfg --device' scenario.
* Behavior of biosdevname in a KVM guest environment, where one of the
interfaces had an entry in $PIR table, for which biosdevname suggested
a name. The other interface did not have an entry in $PIR table and
biosdevname did not suggest a name.
* PCI add-in interfaces getting emN names on some quad port network
FUTURE TESTING ...
Narendra identified the following areas for additional testing. If you
are interested in pitching in, you can post results to the wiki, or file
bugs, at any time during the release.
1. More testing for SRIOV devices
2. Test NPAR capable devices when they become widely available
3. Wider Network Adapter coverage
4. Wider hypervisor/guest environment coverage
The following testers  participated in the event and posted results
to the wiki. Congrats to shyam_iyer and Dramsey as our top two testers
for this event.
#RESULTS | TESTER
8 | shyam_iyer
8 | Dramsey
6 | Srinivas
6 | paniraj
6 | Narendrak
5 | taousif
5 | ashishbunkar
4 | Ykopkova
4 | jlaska
4 | Elemc
3 | Jcm
The following bugs were reported during the event, and listed on the
* 673268 - Rawhide installer sees pci2#1 and eth1
* 673238 - anaconda creates incorrect udev 70-persistent-net.rules
entry for network device
* 672603 - AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute
* 673158 - AttributeError: 'Storage' object has no attribute
* 671981 - IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument
* 673160 - Anaconda fails to activate the device when
ksdevice=pciM#N is passed
* 673015 - Launching smoltGui or smoltSendProfile causes a
* 673192 - Dracut fails to create initramfs during @minimal Fedora
* 673387 - igb device named ethxx when sriov enabled and pci##
* 673565 - Install to dual-node HX5 results is inconsistent
ethernet device name
 NOTE - there were additional participants who did not provide
results on the wiki. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to identify
those contributions at this time.
test-announce mailing list