On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 10:44:05AM -0600, Brandon Nielsen wrote:
On 11/23/20 10:30 AM, Andreas Tunek wrote:
> Den lör 21 nov. 2020 kl 15:31 skrev James Szinger <jszinger(a)gmail.com
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 18:35:19 -0600
> Brandon Nielsen <nielsenb(a)jetfuse.net
> > If it has changed, it would be really great if pipewire-pulse could
> > make it into the F33 repos so it could be easily tested.
> I agree. I think new software should be available and testable on a
> stable Fedora release before it becomes default. I’m not ready to
> have a rawhide install on real hardware to test something that’s not
> ready yet. I am especially wary of a change that requires new
> software to be written between now and beta.
> I think this is a way too high burden on new features. Testing in
> rawhide should be enough. Something like pipewire is also pretty easy to
> test in a Live system.
Easy to test basic things like sound works, headphones work, output device
changing works. Much more difficult to test every audio use-case I use in a
given day, week, month, because needs and uses change so much. Am I using my
Bluetooth headphones today? A USB audio interface? Webcam? HDMI? Plus I work
across different systems with almost entirely different hardware. I may be
willing to run Rawhide on some of these systems, but most people probably
I'm not saying this should necessarily be a mandate. But for something
completely fundamental to how a lot of people use their systems, especially
now, with such a wide array of hardware and uses, we should absolutely be
pursuing the widest possible test coverage. And right now, the only answers
are "it works in rawhide" and "it will be feature complete later".
Please do note that this week has US holidays in it and change owners
may be off away from computers taking time off. I don't think we should
be impatient on this... let them get a chance to respond rather than
everyone saying over and over they don't think it's ready and it's not
Additionally, since it's a big change with a wide amount of workflows
and hardware and users expected, thats another reason to accept the
change for f34. It will then get testing up until the beta freeze... if
it's not ready then, it can be moved to f35 all the better for all the
testing it got in the early f34 cycle.
So, IMHO, relax, wait for change owners to make things testable, then
test and file bugs and we can see where we are. There's too many
unknowns right at this minute.