I am experimenting with DRI on my IBM Thinkpad T23 running FC4. For this
purpose, I rebuilt M. Harris' testing X.org 22.214.171.124 package with activated
"savage" DRI support. After starting the graphical environment, X reports
"(II) SAVAGE(0): Direct rendering enabled" which is rather satisfactory :)
In the beginning, "SELinux" used to be enabled by default. However, this
lead to segmentation faults when calling applications which depend on
OpenGL, e.g. in the case of "glxinfo". The corresponding "dmesg" entry read:
"Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address e0c10000
e0a2e458 *pde = 1d11c067
Oops: 0002 [#1]
Modules linked in: nvram parport_pc lp parport autofs4 rfcomm l2cap
bluetooth sunrpc pcmcia ipt_REJECT ipt_state ip_conntrack iptable_filter
ip_tables ibm_acpi(U) kqemu(U) savage(U) drm(U) md5 ipv6 video button
battery ac yenta_socket rsrc_nonstatic pcmcia_core uhci_hcd shpchp hw_random
i2c_i801 i2c_core snd_intel8x0 snd_ac97_codec snd_seq_dummy snd_seq_oss
snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq snd_seq_device snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss snd_pcm
snd_timer snd soundcore snd_page_alloc e100
mii floppy dm_snapshot dm_zero dm_mirror ext3 jbd dm_mod
EIP: 0060:[<e0a2e458>] Tainted: P VLI
EFLAGS: 00010282 (2.6.12-1.1398_FC4)
EIP is at savage_bci_emit_event+0x7e/0xe4 [savage]
eax: e0c10000 ebx: c0030000 ecx: d61a6000 edx: 00000002
esi: dacb7e00 edi: 00000135 ebp: 00000135 esp: ce70fef4
ds: 007b es: 007b ss: 0068
Process glxinfo (pid: 3338, threadinfo=ce70f000 task=d0614aa0)
Stack: badc0ded ce70ff20 cf8740e0 dacb7e00 ce6dfa20 e0a30274 ce70ff58
c01f7485 ce70ff58 00100100 00200200 00000003 00000000 00000003 e0a301bc
e0a36638 00000042 e0a1ec0f bfb111a4 00000001 d5406000 d0614aa0
[<e0a30274>] savage_bci_event_emit+0xb8/0xe6 [savage]
[<e0a301bc>] savage_bci_event_emit+0x0/0xe6 [savage]
[<e0a1ec0f>] drm_ioctl+0x98/0x1dc [drm]
[<e0a1eb77>] drm_ioctl+0x0/0x1dc [drm]
Code: e3 00 00 fe ff 81 eb 00 00 fe 3f 89 d8 0d 00 00 01 00 80 e2 02 0f 45
d8 ba 02 00 00 00 89 f0 ff 96 2c 01 00 00 8b 86 d0 00 00 00 <89> 18 83 c0 04
81 cf 00 00 00 98 89 38 89 e8 5b 5e 5f 5d c3 83"
There is a prior entry saying:
"mtrr: base(0xe4000000) is not aligned on a size(0x5000000) boundary"
The curious thing is that when "SELinux" is disabled at boot time through
option "selinux=disabled" in "", DRI works correctly. Sure, the 3D
performance is pretty poor, but anyway. Has anybody observed this behaviour,
too? Any clues how to make SELinux and DRI make play together peacefully?
after some prerelease testing, a final mach 0.4.7 release has been made.
Please find the release notes attached.
This version works with either apt or yum, and works with selinux
I'm still looking for people interested in discussing the refactoring of
mach into a more pythonic project (work going on in the mach3 directory
in cvs) - I need people to discuss ideas and approaches with.
Meanwhile, a package for Fedora Extras should soon be hitting the
Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://www.davedina.org/
<-*- thomas (dot) apestaart (dot) org -*->
I love the way you love
but I hate the way
I'm supposed to love you back
<-*- thomas (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->
URGent, best radio on the net - 24/7 ! - http://urgent.fm/
After applying yesterday's rawhide to my iBook, the system is quite
thoroughly toasted. After yum was finished, ssh'ing into the
machine no longer worke, and neither did logging in at the local
console. Rebooting the machine hangs after the initrd is processed,
seemingly failing to execute /sbin/init.
My suspicion is that a very low level library is botched (glibc or
selinux). Trying to chroot() into the system from an old YDL 3.0
install CD (the only CD what would boot on PPC I found on short
notice) fails, just producing segfaults, but YDL 3.0 is quite
old, of course, and still running 2.4. Will try and get a
FC4 install CD today and try again.
PS: The system does not use selinux.