= Proposed System Wide Change: Retire Synaptics Driver =
* Peter Hutterer <peter DOT hutterer AT who-t DOT net>
Retire the xorg-x11-drv-synaptics driver and remove it from user's install.
== Detailed Description ==
xorg-x11-drv-synaptics has been the main X.Org touchpad driver for
over a decade. Since Fedora 22, it has been superseded by
xorg-x11-drv-libinput which aims to provide a better touchpad
The only way to assign X.Org drivers is via the xorg.conf.d
configuration system which is based on config file sort order. e.g.
evdev sorts as 10-evdev.conf, synaptics as 70-synaptics.conf, etc.
Whichever sorts last is assigned as driver for a device. Fedora 22 and
later shipped with libinput's config file sorting higher than all
other drivers to overwrite any previous matches.
Some users prefer the synaptics driver over libinput. This requires
the users to install the driver and then place a custom config snippet
or, more commonly, symlink to the synaptics config snippets with a
name that has a higher sort order than xorg-x11-drv-libinput.
The aim of this change is to ensure that the synaptics driver can
simply be installed when required without any further user
configuration. When installed, it should be assigned as the preferred
driver over xorg-x11-drv-libinput.
For historical reasons, a vast majority of users have the synaptics
driver installed, especially those updating from older releases.
We want to a) remove the xorg-x11-drv-synaptics driver from a user's
machine but b) make it possible to install where required.
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
- xorg-x11-drv-synaptics must be removed from comps (complete as of F25)
- xorg-x11-drivers must not include xorg-x11-drv-synaptics (complete as of F25)
- the X server needs to support a fallback input driver. This ensures
that when an xorg.conf snippet assigns the synaptics driver but that
driver is missing, the user still has a working touchpad. Complete as
- xorg-x11-drv-synaptics will get a subpackage
xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-legacy containing the actual driver
- xorg-x11-drv-libinput will obsolete/provide the current
* Other developers:
- packages that currently require xorg-x11-drv-synaptics need to
revisit and either require the new subpackage or drop the requirement
- Affected packages: mate-desktop, cinnamon-desktop
* Release engineering: Nothing required, the RE changes are complete as of F25
* Policies and guidelines: No update needed
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
Platform & Fedora Program Manager
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic