= Proposed Self Contained Change: Packaging Rust applications/libraries =
* Igor Gnatenko <ignatenkobrain(a)fedoraproject.org > (on behalf of Rust SIG)
Add required tools/instructions for packaging applications/libraries
written in Rust. Rust is a systems programming language that runs
blazingly fast, prevents segfaults, and guarantees thread safety.
== Detailed Description ==
During initial research of SIG about packaging we identified that
inability to specify version range dependencies (1.0 <= foo < 2.0) in
RPM is main blocker. This problem hits almost every other language
ecosystem (esp. NodeJS), but it is not very noticable due to having
not more than 2 versions. While packaging some applications we
discovered need of having 3 or more versions of same crate.
The most of the work already has been done and users can consume
applications without needing to do anything from Rust/Playground COPR
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Create tool for automatic creation of rpm-spec-file
from crate on crates.io, create RPM macro for easy packaging, write
* Other developers: RPM developers to add support for expressing
version range dependencies.
* Release engineering: https://pagure.io/releng/issue/6889
* List of deliverables: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Policies and guidelines: Packaging Guidelines needs to be written
for packaging Rust applications/libraries.
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
Platform & Fedora Program Manager
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic