(Note this change was previously submitted for Fedora 29:
== Summary ==
Remove yum (v3) and all related packages from Fedora.
== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:mdomonko|Michal Domonkos]]
* Email: mdomonko(a)redhat.com
== Detailed Description ==
Remove packages from the distribution:
All these packages should no longer be used and all software using
them should be migrated to DNF.
* Important packages such as yum, createrepo or yum-utils will be
provided/obsoleted by relevant packages from the dnf stack
* Important executables such yum, repoquery, createrepo, etc. will be
provided either as new executables or via symlinks
== Benefit to Fedora ==
Drop an old package manager that has no active upstream development.
Move existing users to DNF which that has active development.
Secondary benefit is reducing number of packages in Fedora that still
depend on Python 2.
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Remove packages from the distribution: createrepo,
yum, yum-langpacks, yum-utils, yum-metadata-parser, yum-updatesd,
* Other developers: Either remove packages from the distribution or
switch them to DNF
* Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/7588
* Policies and guidelines: N/A
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
Any tool based on YUM 3 Python API will stop working. This applies on
any 3rd party software which won't be changed in Fedora as part of
CLI compatibility will be provided by DNF.
== How To Test ==
Repoclosure passes after dropping the packages.
== User Experience ==
There shouldn't be any impact on YUM users because the functionality
is provided by DNF already.
Users of tools listed in the Dependencies section shouldn't see any
difference if the migration to DNF is done properly.
== Dependencies ==
The list of source packages (SRPMs) that still depend on some of the
yum-related packages to be removed:
(see wiki page)
== Contingency Plan ==
* Contingency mechanism: Do not remove the packages in the current release.
* Contingency deadline: Beta Freeze
* Blocks release? No
* Blocks product? No
== Documentation ==
== Release Notes ==
Inform end-users about removing the YUM 3 stack and definitive migration to DNF.
Fedora Program Manager