= Proposed System Wide Change: Headless Java =
Change owner(s): Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky(a)redhat.com>
Server installations of Fedora should usually not pull in packages related to
X system or sound subsystem. For this reason part of OpenJDK package has been
split into headless subpackage which has smaller dependency chain. Fedora
packages should be migrated to require java-headlesss instead of full java
package when appropriate.
== Detailed description ==
OpenJDK package in Fedora has been traditionally monolithic, pulling in a lot
of dependencies including (but not limited to)
This is obviously not optimal for minimal server installations where OpenJDK
is used for web application development and deployment.
Designed after Debian packaging, Fedora OpenJDK package has been split into
packages providing java and java-headless. This makes it possible for packages
to use "Requires: java-headless". For most libraries and generic packages this
is sufficient. End-user applications should keep "Requires: java" to pull in
full OpenJDK package.
This change aims to convert most Java packages to have "Requires: java-
headless" when appropriate. BuildRequires on java-devel are unaffected.
== Scope ==
* Modify javapackages-tools package to automatically generate "java-headless"
autorequires (simple change)
* Identify and file bugs for affected packages (repoquery and bugzilla bug
* (optional) Mass-change spec files that have "Requires: java" to
* Modify spec files to have "Requires: java-headless" instead of "Requires:
* (note) JavaSIG has several proven packages that could assist with this
* mass rebuild is not necessary but it would simplify things
Policies and guidelines:
* Packaging:Java needs to be modified to account for java-headless package
existence (Note: there is already a packaging draft that aims to do that among