= Proposed Self Contained Change: Erlang 20 =
* Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov AT gmail DOT com>
* Fedora Erlang SIG <erlang AT lists DOT fedoraproject DOT org>
* Randy Barlow <rbarlow AT fedoraproject DOT org>
* Jeremy Cline <jcline AT fedoraproject DOT org>
Update Erlang/OTP to version 20.
== Detailed Description ==
Upgrade Erlang to version 20 which brings a lot of good stuff. Just a
* So-called dirty schedulers are available on systems with SMP.
* Atoms may now contain arbitrary Unicode characters (for example,
* Erlang application can handle some OS signals (SIGHUP, for example).
* Improved unicode support for strings
* The zlib module has been refactored and all its operations will now
yield appropriately, allowing them to be used freely in concurrent
Aside from this, we plan to improve quality of Erlang and related
packages. These are shortcomings we want to address:
* Every daemon written in Erlang has its own logging solution which
doesn't use neither syslog nor Journald. We should start switching
them to Journald.
* We should add ability to use D-Bus via erlang-dbus library.
* Further improve Erlang Packaging Guidelines.
* Start building noarch Erlang packages we've implemented previously.
== Scope ==
* Upgrade Erlang to the latest version (20.1.6).
* We must rebuild every package which requires NIF or Driver version
(listed below in the Dependencies section) against Erlang 20.x.y.
* Every Erlang daemon's systemd unit must require epmd.socket.
* We need to fill new review request for erlang-ejournald
-- We have to fill new review request for erlang-lager_journald_backend
* We need to fill new review request for erlang-dbus
* Upgrade outdated packages:
---- Riak has has been retired. We have to re-add it back.
-- Package rebar3 in a separate package and provide/adjust RPM macros.
-- Package GDB macros for easier coredump debugging (see also this ticket).
-- Enable Kerberos authentication in Ejabberd (finally).
Policies and guidelines:
* We should promote officially Erlang Packaging Guidelines.
* N/A (not needed for this Change)
Platform & Fedora Program Manager
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic