== Summary ==
Upgrading Liberation fonts in Fedora to Liberation 2.00.3 version.
Presently we are having Liberation fonts 1.07.4. Both version has its
advantages and disadvantages. Users interested in using Liberation
1.07.4 can install it from Copr repo.
== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:Pravins| Pravin Satpute]], [[User:Pnemade| Parag
Nemade]], [[User:Vishalvvr| Vishal Vijayraghavan]]
* Email: psatpute AT redhat DOT com, pnemade AT redhat DOT com,
vvijayra AT redhat DOT com
== Detailed Description ==
This is traditional version for Liberation fonts.
* It has bytecode hinting instructions and works very well.
* In uses from long time.
* Not good Unicode character coverage.
* License: Liberation
* Wide character coverage.
** '''Latest Version - Older Version'''
** 2302 (sans) - 667
** 2274 (mono) - 666
** 2303 (serif) - 662
* License: OFL
* Not bytecode hinting instructions.
We tried to change Liberation 1.07.4 with Liberation 2.00.3 in
but due to regression about hinting, we revoked
Over the period many users suggested for upgrade. We had discussion on
fedora devel lists and also in fedora i18n meeting about same.
With this change planning to upgrade Fedora version to 2.00.3 and
provide Copr repo for 1.07.5
1. Update Liberation 2.00.3 in Fedora (Done)
2. Split Liberation Narrow fonts from Liberation 1.07.4. (Done)
3. Package Liberation-narrow-fonts in Fedora (Ongoing)
4. Build Liberation 1.07.5 in copr.
== Benefit to Fedora ==
Liberation 2.00.3 has wider character coverage and automated hinting
instructions. Uuser interested in liberation 1.07.5 can install it
from copr repo.
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
** Presently liberation [https://github.com/pravins/liberation-fonts
upstream] has both version in single repo (in different branch).
Upstream project splitting required. [Done]
** Update Liberation 2.00.3 in Fedora (Done)
** Split Liberation Narrow fonts from Liberation 1.07.5. (Done)
** Package Liberation-narrow-fonts in Fedora (Ongoing)
** Build Liberation 1.07.4 in copr.
== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
* Liberation 1.07.4 will be updated to Liberation 2.00.3
* User interested in Liberation 1.07.4 need to install it from Copr
Upgrade will be smooth.
== How To Test ==
* Check whether Liberation Fonts 2.00.3 has been installed or not.
* Try to install Liberation 1.07.5 and see if users can use it properly.
== Contingency Plan ==
* Drop the change and move to next release.
== Documentation ==
Not at this moment, planning to update github.
Fedora Program Manager