= Proposed Self Contained Change: RPM MPI Requires Provides =
Change owner(s): Sandro Mani <manisandro at gmail dot com>
Have the rpm-build find-provides and find-requires scripts encode the MPI compiler name in
the provides string of a binary to distinguish otherwise identical provides between
packages $foo, $foo-openmpi and $foo-mpich.
== Detailed Description ==
Currently, the packages libfoo, libfoo-openmpi and libfoo-mpich providing the library
libfoo.so all have a provides string of i.e.
While yum used a shortest-package-name rule to choose which package to pick, dnf does not
have any rules, and seems to just pick the first match it comes across. Currently the only
solution would be to filter the provides from the -openmpi, -mpich packages and add
explicit Requires: where needed. I'd like to propose to extend the provides string in
such way that it also encodes the MPI implementation, i.e.:
$ rpm -qp --provides libfoo
$ rpm -qp --provides libfoo-mpich
$ rpm -qp --provides libfoo-openmpi
To this end, I'm proposing to adapt the find-requires and find-provides scripts as (or
Discussion of these changes are tracked in bug #1232504.
This change is intended to coordinate the rebuild of all MPI related packages to ensure
all such packages consistently use the new provides format.
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
- Work on find-provides and find-requires based on feedback.
- As soon as updated find-provides and find-requires shipped with rpm-build, do a
mass-rebuild of all MPI packages.
* Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Release engineering: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)