= Proposed System Wide Change: Python 3.6 =
* Charalampos Stratakis <cstratak AT redhat DOT com >
* Dominika Krejči <dkrejci AT redhat DOT com>
* Lumír Balhar <lbalhar AT redhat DOT com>
* Michal Cyprian <mcyprian AT redhat DOT com>
* Miro Hrončok <mhroncok AT redhat DOT com>
* Petr Viktorin <pviktori AT redhat DOT com>
* Tomáš Orsava <torsava AT redhat DOT com>
Update the Python 3 stack in Fedora from Python 3.5 to Python 3.6.
== Detailed Description ==
Python 3.6 adds numerous features and optimizations. See the upstream
notes at Features for 3.6 and What's new in 3.6
== Scope ==
* All the downstream patches will need to be reviewed and then rebased
or dropped accordingly. Since some patches are arch specific, they
will need to be reviewed for their respective architecture.
* Most of the python packages requiring Python 3, should be compatible
with Python 3.6. Some incompatible changes and how to port code to
Python 3.6 can be seen here: Porting to Python 3.6
* Currently there are 1500 packages in Fedora 26 that either
BuildRequires or Requires Python 3, and with the continuing porting
efforts, the number gets higher every day.
* After change is accepted, and a release candidate of Python 3.6 is
available, it will be built for F26.
* Release Milestones for Python 3.6:
* There is already a copr repo with the third alpha of Python 3.6
(Python-3.6.0a3) which can be enabled by: dnf copr enable
*Owners of packages that fail to rebuild during the mass rebuild will
be asked, using bugzilla, to fix or remove their packages from the
distribution. If any issues appear, they should be solvable either by
communicating with upstreams first and/or applying downstream patches.
Also the package maintainers should have a look at: Porting to Python
3.6. And python-maint team will be available to help with fixing
* Packages will be rebuilt during mass rebuild. If there is no mass
rebuild for whatever reason, a targeted mass rebuild for all python
packages will be required.
Policies and guidelines: None
Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
Platform & Fedora Program Manager
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic