(For the innocent bystanders, we've decided to use fedora-desktop list
for development communication around https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cha
nges/WorkstationOstree , so you'll see some more or less mundane stuff
go by here - if you're not interested, just ignore it. Better than
chasing things via private mail or yet-another-list, I believe).
Here's a first status update of sorts for the atomic workstation effort
(I'm afraid this name will stick if we don't come up with something
else soon, I'm already used to it).
David got an initial repo set up at http://184.108.40.206/repo
After some fixups, we've gotten it to boot, show gdm and log in in
Here is what I did to get to the login screen:
1) Install fedora-atomic in a vm (following the instructions on www.pro
2) Add a remote with
ostree remote add workstation http://220.127.116.11/repo
3) Turn off selinux with
3) Switch out the atomic host image with the workstation image with
rpm-ostree rebase workstation:fedora-atomic-
4) Reboot, edit /etc/pam.d/gdm-lauch-environment to replace pam_unix.so
5) Start gdm with
systemctl isolate graphical.target
So thats a good first milestone to reach. Or almost reach - we still
need to put the gdm pam fixes into the repo (or rather, in upstream
gdm), and make the system boot to graphical.target by default.
The next steps I see are:
- Figure out how we can work on the repository together. David, can you
make your scripts and tooling for the repository building available
somewhere ? github or pagure would be the obvious candidates, I guess.
- Figure out how to work on other bits that we need in this scenario.
Mainly, this will be Richard making gnome-software talk to rpm-
We should probably explore the option to locally compose a tree with
custom bits in it. Or just work inside a vm ? Owen is looking at using
vagrant for this, I think.
- Get a friendlier installation story than transmutating a fedora
atomic image. rpm-ostree has support for generating some form of
install image, we should look into that. I think this is on Davids todo
- Talk to rel-eng about steps to move this from our prototyping into
their real. I have an initial meeting next week to start this.
Here is another update on the progress of this effort:
1) We have renamed the tree to get rid of the provisional 'foo-host'.
If you've checked out the image last week, you can switch to the new
rpm-ostree rebase workstation:fedora-atomic-workstation/rawhide/x86_64/default
2) David has put his configs for the tree compose up at https://pagure.
io/atomic-workstation-config . This was my first experience with
pagure, and I have to say, it is pretty nice.
3) We've tweaked the configs to get the content much closer to the
current live image:
- documentation is now installed
- we don't use install_langs anymore
- various space saving hacks were dropped
- cloud-specific additions (eg iscsi in the initramfs) were dropped
- the package list has been synced with the workstation live image
- we boot to graphical
4) We've met with Amanda Carter to discuss release engineering tasks
related to this work; Owen has written a proposal for minimal koji
integration for xdg-app here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstatio
- David is trying out the installer-building capability of rpm-ostree-
- Owen has set up a local koji to investigate xdg-app building more