#17: Objective proposal: Fedora Flavors Phase 2
Reporter: mattdm | Owner:
Status: new | Priority: normal
Component: Objectives | Keywords:
I posted this on [https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/council-
discuss/2014-December/013066.html council-discuss] a few weeks ago and
there was a little discussion. Because this is really a continuation of
something we've previously agreed to, I think this is straightforward.
Since objectives are non-trivial, we should go for the "full +3 with no
-1s" consensus, but also, since this has technical components which impact
F22 planning -- which is starting now! -- I'd like to have the final
decision as soon as possible.
= Objective: Fedora Flavors, Second Phase. =
* Take the initial Server/Workstation/Cloud split from Fedora 21 from an
experiment into solid production. Increase autonomy from FESCo and
improve targetted outreach.
* Increased user base and user satisfaction in targetted areas. Increased
contributor community around the targets. Increased ability to adapt to
future or expanded targets as needed.
* Although we expect the "Fedora flavors" concept to be ongoing, this
"second phase" is targetted for the F22 and F23 releases, making it
an approximately 12-month objective. That way, this council objective
lead slot will be open shortly after Flock 2015.
- Coordinate Working Groups' development of updated PRDs and changes and
features for each release.
- Work with FESCo and Fedora Program Manager to develop process whereby
flavor-specific Changes are handled primarily at the WG level.
- Work with Outreach (marketing, ambassadors, etc.) to identify and plan
representation at new conferences specific to the various target
- Plan, coordinate, and schedule release engineering and infrastructure
changes in advance of the F22 and F23 alpha releases.
- Lay groundwork for possible different release cycles and lifespans.
- Tooling and infrastructure for spins and remixes to increase
differentiation. # _Note: perhaps this is big enough to be an
objective of its own, along with better promotion for spins._
- Work with Council and community to develop concrete process for
(or possible contraction) of Fedora flavors as identified needs change,
working from the product definition previously approved by the Board
- PRDs updated. Changes filed, changes accepted, changes completed.
- Conference reports; user data from those conferences.
- User and contributor surveys, and other user and contributor measures
- Usability is increased as measured by user testing specific to each
(My only regret here is that we are not up to Phase Four, for full-on
Additionally, I would like to nominate Stephen Gallagher for the role of
Objective Lead. Stephen brought the "three products" idea to Fedora.next,
was instrumental in its realization in the F21 release, and, also, tells
me that he will have significant time to dedicate to this over the next
(Please vote on this nomination as a separate +1/-1 along with any +1
votes to the proposal overall.)
Ticket URL: <https://fedorahosted.org/council/ticket/17>
Fedora Council Public Tickets