I was further thinking about splitting the core cockpit and the recent 'pkg' plugins to allow independent build for each of them.
I would expect that plugins will share same set of run/build dependencies and I don't think the 'first class' plugins shall maintain their dependencies on its own.
I think it would be beneficial to define (and further maintain) shared set of nodejs/bower deps as separate .rpms (or .debs), like
cockpit-nodejs-...rpm - just nodejs
cockpit-nodejs-modules-...rpm - all node_modules
cockpit-bower-...rpm - tentative, probably deprecating in favour of nodejs/webpack
The build will require these packages.
The resulting source tarball(s) will be much smaller since just the sources and not dependencies will be included.
Potential licence issues can be solved just once.
There will be still control over dependencies but with more flexibility.
Hello Cockpit crew,
I am working on ABRT and I am the author of the 'org.freedesktop.Problems'
support idea .
I would like to let you that we have developed a Cockpit module  showing
problems detected by ABRT and allowing users to report them. The module is
still rather a proof of concept (especially the reporting part) but we wanted to
make you aware of its existence.
I have prepared a demonstration video:
and a Fedora COPR with the packages:
I know Cockpit development is driven by user stories but I didn't want to write
a hypothetical case. Last week I got a lot of luck, because I found a crash of
realmd  which was reproducible using Cockpit. So, here is our user story:
Charles King, an administrator at Czechlands, wants to add John's work
station to Romanum Active Directory Domain. Charles logs in to Cockpit on
John's work station, clicks the 'Join Domain' button, fills in required
information and hits return. After a while, "Message recipient disconnected
from message bus without replying" error message appears. Charles tries to
sort out the problem so he looks into the system logs and discovers a
message about realmd crash. He opens "Tools" menu and goes to "Problems"
item where he finds an entry for the crash. He reviews the data presented
and decides to report the problem. The report reply includes a link to a
Bugzilla bug which is already fixed. Charles updates John's box and
successfully adds the box to Romanum domain.
The module uses some experimental work and it is definitely not production
ready. However, we would love to hear any feedback from you before we spend too
much time doing wrong things.