jberkus reported a new issue against the project: `atomic-wg` that you are following:
Currently, the main user story for Fedora Atomic Host is as a container infrastructure web
host. The OStree ref and ISOs we maintain work well for this user story, and it leads to
certain decisions like keeping docker and atomic CLI in the base image (see
However, there is a user story we are not satisfying, which is the user who wants a truly
minimal install, and is more interested in being able to compose her own ostrees and
atomic updates than she is in container orchestration. This is an important user story
because we already have demand for it, especially from the IoT sector.
The steps to pursue this would be:
1. work with users to refine and specify the requirements for a "minimal"
2. identify and recruit contributors to assist with building it
3. create and publicize new minimal ref and associated tools
Based on my conversations at conferences, the main requests are these:
* reduce the size of the base ostree by stripping things out, preferably to less than
* auto-rollback on rpm-ostree upgrade reboot fail
* a complete, well-documented toolchain for building and redistributing custom ostrees,
based on either the minimal ref or "from scratch".
* support for ARM32 (unlikely at best, but people have asked)
To reply, visit the link below or just reply to this email