Is not a secret that our world passes for a critical time: excessive pollution, the indiscriminate felling of trees, the
irrational use of natural resources, global warming and many other
things that have made me wonder what can we do?
Lot of people including informatics and people relationed with technology thinks is this a location outside and cant do anything. But it is always possible make a grand of sand... everybody can save the world.
With this in mind, Fedora could be promoted not only as a operating
system friendly to the planet, this reinforces the sense of community, Fedora user is not only a computer user is a good citizen.
- Fedora promotes some kind of ecology? We do not need strict recycling
policies or abstinence, from simple things like "the last person exiting please turn off the
- In development policies Fedora how we save? Reuse of software
components is a very common practice. Can we measure it? Can we save
- Promote the use of the Live USB Creator. How well would you do if
instead of burning the CD / DVD, use the Live USB Creator using your
own memory stick? Think about this: every 6 months with each release hundreds of discs become obsolete. The USB is a way certainly more rational
- What features are in Fedora that promote energy savings? Personally I think that Fedora
should come with default saving policies stricter starting turning off the monitor
instead of darkening the screen.
- What features could be included in Fedora that promote saving and efficiency of the system?
- Planting trees at least 3 for each server 24 / 7 that we have. (Thanks to Fedora Brazil)
Now, discussing this inside Latam Community, we have agreed create the Fedora Zero Carbon Proyect (Fedora Cero Carbono in spanish). The objetive starting from this simple ideas (and a lot of what we have had) is a campain promoving Fedora looking to the racional use of resorces and good job practices.
The Fedora Zero Carbon Proyect was originally created and promoved by Rodrigo Padula of Fedora Brazil to reduce the CO2 contamination (congratulations!) and now Latam Community with all this ideas are in the same way... our world.
So, what do think? Fedora takes care about the planet?
Fedora Ambassador for Colombia
Fedora Release 9 (Sulphur): Linux Kernel 2.6.27 + Gnome 2.22