Here is the proposal for a Dashboard feature planned for this iteration.
The general idea is to have a two separate dashboards for each section
(Monitor, Administer), as the Overview (Pools#index pretty view) already
works as Dashboard for Monitor section.
It already contains:
* ribbon with basic statistics of Pools, Deployments, Instances, Alerts,
Updates and global Quota overview
* list of latest alerts
* Overview on Pools their status and status of its Deployments and
Instances with direct access to manage them.
* possibility to get to detailed list view with a single click
Pools Overview section also has links to basic operation as launching or
Managing deployments from within its Pool.
Having a separate Dashboard would mean duplicating of this information
unless Pools Overview section would have been redesigned.
Administer section does not have an Overview section so the idea is to
create similar Overview/Dashboard section as the Monitor section has
which resembles it graphically by using slightly changed UI elements
used in Monitor section as we dont have any wireframes or design
guidelines for it.
The main part of proposed Administer section Overview utilizes the Admin
subsections navigation as a table of boxes for each subsection (similar
to Instances display in Deployment detail pretty view) which contains:
* subsection icon
* title - linking to given subsection
* information about elements count or other relevant info (current
* link to most used function for given subsection (create new user, add
suggested deployable, ...)
Subsections: Users, Roles, Providers, Provider Accounts, Hardware
Profiles, Realms, Pool Families, Suggested Deployables, Settings
Based on the amount of data we want to display the box can have
different size (e.g. Settings subsection box section with current
settings summary can use twice as big box than other)
Navigating back from a subsection to Overview can be done via Breadcrumb
leading to it or by clicking the Administer tab. Current controll panel
select should be put in each subsection to provide navigation among
subsections without returning to Overview.
Other relevant info like last 5 items from user related Action History
(similar to Alerts section in Pools Overview) can be included when its
Administer section Overview simplyfies the navigation for administrator
and speeds up the access to most of the tasks he want to perform in
Administer section. It should be relatively easy to implement as the
current UI elements could be used and it doesnt require changes to
application structure or logic.
Having two separate Dashboards or Overviews simplifies the problem with
having to deal with displaying different amount of information based on
Creating Administer section Overview largely depends on Admin section UX
which is about to be discussed.
Features and Tasks:
As an admin I want to have an Overview in Administer section
* prepare UI design and elements for Subsections boxes
* implement Subsection box navigation with subsection info and links
* remove controll panel select
As an admin I want to navigate around Administer section
* Implement Breadcrumbs to navigate from Admin subsection to Overview
* Add Controll panel select to each subsection to enable navigation
among subsections without returning to Overview
As an admin I want to see last 5 events in Action history (depends on
Action history implementation)
* Implement Action history overview based on Pools pretty view Alerts
section with last 5 events and link to Action history page, placed under
Subsections box navigation.