here's a mailbomb related to our website. If you're not interested, feel free to
skip it :)
I'd like to follow up on Mo's recent pull request and also on the discussions we
had on Developer Conference by proposing an update to the website structure.
Here is what I would like to have as main menu items:
* Home - what we have now, with a bit revisited content.
* Projects - the thing that Mo has done. We have so many components now that people
deserve a special page just to get the 3048 meter (ten thousand foot) view of Aeolus.
* Install - describe how to download and install Aeolus. "Get It" is fine too,
but I just think "Install" is clearer and more common. Regarding content of the
page, we should decouple it from Fedora, as discussed on the Conference.
* Docs - point of origin when you search for tutorials, reference guides etc., regardless
of who you are. Link to our usage guide with screenshots, links to GitHub wikis (when we
have them) of various subprojects, links to API docs. We should make clear what links are
for what "persona". I'd differentiate here between three groups: Admins
(Sam, the sys admin - installation and setup), Users (Dennis, the app designer +
Carl/Bert, the infrastructure consumer - clicking and CLIing), Developers. -- Yeah, Mike,
the develper persona might be useful :)
* Contribute - information for everyone who wants to help. What stuff we need - helping
newbies, updating tutorials, writing code etc. and how should people get involved
(installation for development, finding easy "onboarding" stuff to work on,
* Blog - feed from our external blog. (Or, we could move the blog to be part of the
website. Not sure if there would be issues with this though.) We could get rid of News
section, as Mo did in his pull request. I think Blog/News are largely overlapping and we
might struggle to find enough items for News section alone. Or, should News stay, I'd
let them be only on the Home page with some link to show older news, but I wouldn't
put that into main menu. I believe this main menu item wouldn't be used much.
* Contact / Need help? / something else? - not sure of the name here, but the purpose of
the page is the same as we have it now - document our communication channels, allow people
to reach out for help or give feedback.
That's 7 main menu items, the magical ideal number.
Any feedback and suggestions are welcome, and I'd like to subsequently process this on
a Website Cabal meeting (the second one, should the first be too soon for this).